Same As It Ever Was?

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

shoedogg
Occasional

Same As It Ever Was?

Post by shoedogg »

Admittedly i haven't looked thorugh hundreds of posts looking for this info, but has each show (not counting the wind storm) been the same. Al has always performed the same show night after night on his previous tours, so I doubt that would change for the Poodle Hat Tour. I wish he would mix up the setlists more. i understand the costume changes and videos require the show to be more tightly coreographed, but wouldn't it be cool if he was to change some of the songs during the non costumed segment. There's no real reason he can't. I guess he just feels that he'd rather have a tight performance that would be less likely to get screwed up. Anyway, if you recall the question was if the setlist for each show so far has indeed been the same?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Except for screwups and shortened setlists, yes, it has been the same.

There actually is a reason, at least right now, for keeping everything as much the same as possible; from what Bermuda said at SLO, a lot of the crew is new this tour. Let's let them get used to doing the same thing night after night first! :nervous:
shoedogg
Occasional

Post by shoedogg »

Good point! Actually, i don't want to sound like im dissing Al by saying he does the same show every night, cause the show he puts on (my 6th time will be July 20) is alway awesome!!! Practice makes perfect.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I was kinda hopin they would switch around one song of the setlist each concert. A song i whcih he doesnt have to dress up. One night he could do P@TLC, then the next night he could do Slime Creatures, then he could do that Boy could dance, then Radioactive Hamsters, then UHF, then go back to P@TLC and start the rotation over. I dont think it would be THAT difficult. Bands like Raiohead and sonic Youth do it all the time. Then again i geuss i wouldnt know. Im not exactly sure how screwed up the crew would be by one change.
shoedogg
Occasional

Post by shoedogg »

What i've wondered, is doesn't it get boring and repetitive for Al and TBITB to perform the same show every night, sometimes twice a night? You'd think he would add a few different songs here and there just to keep it unique and interesting for himself as well as the audience.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

What i've wondered, is doesn't it get boring and repetitive for Al and TBITB to perform the same show every night, sometimes twice a night? You'd think he would add a few different songs here and there just to keep it unique and interesting for himself as well as the audience.

From what I remember reading all those Touring With Scissors concert reviews, Al would sometimes do little jokey changes in his onstage schtick (like once he did "Like A Surgeon" by crawling UNDERNEATH the platform instead of on top of it, and just stuck his head out the drape). I think it's safe to say that if Al is feeling bored, he's going to do something to change that situation.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

What i've wondered, is doesn't it get boring and repetitive for Al and TBITB to perform the same show every night, sometimes twice a night?

I think Al just gets a new band every couple of shows, because at some of the concerts, he introduces the band to each other and they shake hands like they've never met before.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

You'd think he would add a few different songs here and there just to keep it unique and interesting for himself as well as the audience.

Oh, and there's no reason to mix it up each night for the audience. Except for a handful of people (read, us) who go to more than one concert a tour, most of the audience only goes to one concert per tour, so every show they see is already unique.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Except for a handful of people (read, us) who go to more than one concert a tour, most of the audience only goes to one concert per tour, so every show they see is already unique.

And let's face it, if we're here posting regularly, when it comes to Al we're probably pretty unborable.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

But if he changed one song per night (like i desicrbed in my previous post), we would always be surprised what song it would be. we wouldnt have any spoilers. Its not unusual for bands to do this, but then again ive never performed live in front of thousands of people (ive only performed in front of like 60 at the most), so i geusss none of us know what its like.