Poodle Hat Tour Newpaper Reviews

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

weird_el
Off The Deep End

Poodle Hat Tour Newpaper Reviews

Post by weird_el »

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/ ... zette?FEMU

This is the first actual newspaper review I've seen so far on the tour. I'd like to open this topic for people to post links to any newspaper reviews they might find. Links like this sometimes only work temporarily, so if you snooze you lose.

El
Lounge Chair
Occasional

Post by Lounge Chair »

weird_el, I copied & pasted the newspaper article 'cause I know only too well that before you know it, the link will no longer work. Like you wrote, "snooze... lose." I also would love to read newspaper reviews and hope people will post them here. If anyone's interested, I have access to some old reviews (I posted two from 1984 on another forum) that I recently found and got a kick out of.

Packed house greets favorite geek Weird Al Yankovic

Saturday, June 28, 2003, Kalamazoo Gazette

By Marci Persky, Special to the Gazette

Remember those really nerdy guys in high school? The ones you'd never go out with in a million years not because you were so great, but more because they were, well, so geeky.

A lot of those geeky, goofy, nerdy guys grew up to be the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs of the world. Then there's Weird Al Yankovic.

Weird Al is the Peter Pan of the geek world. He never grew up. And are his fans glad.

Fans of all ages packed into a steamy, sweaty State Theatre on Friday night to cut loose with their favorite musical geek, and Al showered them in return with nearly two hours of nonstop weirdness and mirth.

In his usual fashion, he recreated many of his videos complete with costumes, bubbles and fog machines. And with more costume changes than Cher, he entertained the audience with video clips from his movie "UHF," his VH-1 television special, "Al TV," some just plain silly vignettes and many of the guest spots he has made on the small screen throughout the years.

He raked a few celebrities over the coals, injecting himself into interviews with Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion and his favorite target of the moment, Eminem.

He opened the show dressed as Eminem and paced the stage in a good imitation of the angry rapper in "Couch Potato," the parody of "Lose Yourself."

Then, without missing a beat, Yankovic strapped on his trademark accordion and let lose with the "Angry White Boy Polka," a rapid fire homage to today's rock 'n' roll featuring the music of Papa Roach, System of a Down, The Vines, The Hives, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Disturbed, Rage Against the Machine, Limp Bizket, Staind, Eminem and P.O.D. The Polka version of "Slim Shady" was worth the admission in itself.

At that point, he took the house lights up and greeted the adoring crowd, which was sprinkled with people actually wearing poodle hats, (caps with stuffed poodles on top of them) in homage to the comedian's new album, "Poodle Hat."

Yankovic served up a healthy dose of new tunes from the album, including "Ode to a Superhero," a send-up of Billy Joel's "Piano Man"; "Trash Day," which is a takeoff on Nelly's "Hot in Herre"; and "Ebay," to the tune of the Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way."

A favorite, however, was his scatological take on Lavigne's "Complicated," during which Yankovic musically regretted eating the pizza that made him "so constipated."

With abounding energy, Yankovic mixed his sophomoric humor with veteran showmanship to keep the joint jumping throughout the long set.

He lavishly re-enacted his videos for "Amish Paradise," "All About the Pentiums" and my personal favorite, "Smells Like Nirvana."

Yankovic dipped far back into his catalog to get the enthusiastic audience singing along loudly to such gems as "Jurassic Park," "Gump," "Jerry Springer," "Lasagna," "My Bologna," "Eat It," and the classic, "Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies."

After a raucous ovation following his Michael Jackson parody, "Fat," Yankovic and his extremely tight four-piece band came back on stage garbed in tunics and cloaks for a two-song ode to "Star Wars," starting with "The Saga Begins" and ending with an all-out rock-the-house-down version of "Yoda."

Comedian Mike Toomey warmed up the already-anxious crowd with a humorous 20-minute stand-up routine that touched on sibling rivalry, kid fashion, children's television and traveling by bus.

But, unfortunately for Toomey, opening for Weird Al is a thankless job. He was quickly forgotten in the frenzy of polka rhythms and pop parodies. One message I'm sure he took back with him to Chicago: Kalamazooans are serious about their Weird Al.

© 2003 Kalamazoo
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

So... he did the Summerfest show in Wisconsin on Thursday, flew that night to Orlando to sing eBay Friday morning, and was back in Kalamazoo Friday night "with abounding energy." How does he do it?
Lounge Chair
Occasional

Post by Lounge Chair »

OE, there are myriad health perks to being a vegetarian! (OK, OK, so I'm prejudiced as a long-time "veghead" myself... I'm sure it's not just the meatless thing, but still, neither a vegan nor a vegetarian diet hurts, dilutes or slows one's energy level!)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Anyone else getting a little fed up with the "geek" description?

Mama Bear
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

[quote]OE, there are myriad health perks to being a vegetarian! (OK, OK, so I'm prejudiced as a long-time "veghead" myself... I'm sure it's not just the meatless thing, but still, neither a vegan nor a vegetarian diet hurts, dilutes or slows one's energy level!)

Thanks for the information. It was really just a rhetorical question, though, an expression of amazement. I wasn't thinking of Al's food choices when I asked it.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Anyone else getting a little fed up with the "geek" description?

Mama Bear

Well, Al seems to have embraced his "geek" description (perhaps in self-defense) and it mostly just seems to refer to being extraordinarily brainy. 'Fraid he qualifies on that count. :D

He doesn't qualify when it comes to the relating-to-people aspects of geekdom, but we'll just let that be our little secret, ok?
Lounge Chair
Occasional

Post by Lounge Chair »

:)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Oh, I didn't mind. It was just a kinda unexpected change of topic.
Lounge Chair
Occasional

Post by Lounge Chair »

:)