Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

They're not weird, but... Bermuda, Steve and Ruben came out to chat and sign things for us after SLO. Thanks, guys!

Somebody from the crew (tour manager?) then explained that Al, being a new father, would not be meeting fans that night because he wanted to get home as soon as possible to his family. But Al did come out briefly to wave at us from a safe distance-- that is, too far away for anyone to hand him a Sharpie-- and thank us for coming.

Yeah, I'm disappointed. :( But I'm disappointed in the circumstance, not in Al's character. It matters a lot more that Suzanne and Nina got their meet-and-greet this morning.

Miles Jay was there with Steve too; it was pretty cool to hear that Miles has been learning the bass parts to Al songs from his dad ever since he was old enough to play the instrument. No wonder he sounded so good at the OC fair last summer-- he'd been apprenticing his whole life for that gig.
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

"This means something, this is important."

Uh...

Had something for real to say...

Oh! That's cool, hopefully they'll stay afterwards when I go. Al can't go home from where I live! Of course, those fascists at Carowinds will probably make us scram 5 minutes after the show. FASCISTS! COMMUNISTS!

*Remembers Fascists and Communists are opposites*

Oh, um... yeah...
Egg Land Fondue?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Oh! That's cool, hopefully they'll stay afterwards when I go. Al can't go home from where I live!

Well, presumably he can.... eventually. We'll just hope Suzanne hasn't rented his room out to Ed McMahon. :nervous:

Note to any moderator who cares: I'm going to blue-button myself because this really ought to be moved over to be with the other tour topics. What was I thinking? :crazy:
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

Well, presumably he can.... eventually.

I forgot to mention I live in a dimensional vortex outside of time and space.

It's called North Carolina.

Yeah, I mean his "getting home as soon as possible" wouldn't reall be too soon.

I could just kidnap him... :sly:

Naw, someone nees to unclog the toilet and kill spiders at his house.
Egg Land Fondue?
julieabr
Occasional

Re: Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

Post by julieabr »

Miles Jay was there with Steve too; it was pretty cool to hear that Miles has been learning the bass parts to Al songs from his dad ever since he was old enough to play the instrument. No wonder he sounded so good at the OC fair last summer-- he'd been apprenticing his whole life for that gig.

You must have been standing right next to me, because I was right there in front of him when he was saying that. He brought Miles outside to see my tour t-shirt that he had just signed, and came looking for me and my shirt. (yes, I found that very exciting! ) :biggrin:

I was also bummed we didn't get to see Al, but I think those autograph signings will be few and far between.

Julie
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Note to any moderator who cares: I'm going to blue-button myself because this really ought to be moved over to be with the other tour topics. What was I thinking?

I was thinking the same thing. Consider it moved.

I also want to add that Al coming out to talk to us was totally unnecessary. He had already sent the tour manager out to tell us nicely, despite a little rudeness from some of the fans present, that Al wanted to get home.

But Al, being Al... When he saw us all waiting came over and made his apologies and explained that he really just wanted to go home. He is such a sweetie to have cared enough to make the apology himself.

Just one more thing I love about him... that and his Yugoslavian hands... (bear with me here. With the demise of Germs, I'm struggling to find the appropriate catch phrase...)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Just one more thing I love about him...  that and his Yugoslavian hands... (bear with me here.  With the demise of Germs, I'm struggling to find the appropriate catch phrase...)

Well, since he uses those hands to play the accordion, I guess we can let you use the phrase without sending you to the drool topic every single time.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

QUOTE QUOTE

You must have been standing right next to me, because I was right there in front of him when he was saying that. He brought Miles outside to see my tour t-shirt that he had just signed, and came looking for me and my shirt. (yes, I found that very exciting! ) :biggrin:

I was the woman who said how much I admired Steve's loyalty to Al's band for having gone to all the trouble, not just of training, but begetting his own temporary replacement (at OC last year). I've been waiting a long time to use that joke and the look of startlement on Miles' face made it all worthwhile. :D
julieabr
Occasional

Post by julieabr »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:
julieabr wrote:

Oh yeah, I remember that! That was a great line! I wish I had said it!

Where did you sit? Were were front row, 6 & 7.

Julie
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

We were dead center in the second row (14 and 16? Don't have ticket stub handy)