Opening Acts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

kenbu

Opening Acts

Post by kenbu »

Does anyone know if there will be an opening act? I hope so because I have tickets for Houston and Im hoping its not just Weird Al.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

There usually is an opening act. Most often it's a local stand-up comedian. My experience with most of Al's opening acts is that I wish it were "just Weird Al."

El
DrewBoo
Occasional
Location: Alabama, where that kind of thing is NOT tolerated, thank you very much!

Post by DrewBoo »

*agrees strongly*

The concert I went to had a horrible opening act. Here's one of the guy's lame things:

"Yeah on the news in New York they had a record with a guy who caught a huge fish, and here was his story. 'Yeah, I kept reeling, and ***kin reelin, ***kin reelin, ***kin reelin, ***kin reelin, ***kin reelin (some guy near the front shouts "WEIRD AL!"), ***kin reelin, and ***kin reelin!"

Yeah he sucked. He didn't say the word, just the "kin". But still, I hated him. Before the show they said he was featured on Comedy Central's Premium Blend. I don't imagine he got a lot of laughs. Anyway, the concert more than made up for it. :)

But my friend went to a concert and said the guy that opened for Al and the band was hilarious, so I guess I was a bit unlucky. :
There are so many people who inspired me in my career. I'd like to sit down with each one of them and thank them personally. But of course, that'd be a complete waste of my free time.

- Weird Al quote of the week
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Yeah, usually local comedians. I didn't like the one from my first concert, but I liked the one at the OC fair.

-CindyBob
Fireimps87

Post by Fireimps87 »

During Touring With Scissors a couple years back at Paramount's Kings Dominion, there was this one guy who was said to be on the Dr.Demento show. He was pretty good with two of his songs "Internet Man" and "Grandpa dont listen to Rap"
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

During Touring With Scissors a couple years back at Paramount's Kings Dominion, there was this one guy who was said to be on the Dr.Demento show. He was pretty good with two of his songs "Internet Man" and "Grandpa dont listen to Rap"

That would be Larry Weaver. He did a set at ALCON III, and yes, he is one of the better ones -- really nice guy too.

El
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: Opening Acts

Post by scottidog »

Im hoping its not just Weird Al.

Just Al???

You're new here, so I'll try to be nice... :nervous: (Welcome, by the way!) :D

Just Al... sigh. As if that's not enough. Ok, it's not just Al, you'll also be treated to the best band around.

Just Al.... :huh:

What you won't see is another parody artist. At least that's what I get from reading the performance rider. I'd provide the link, but my DSL is slower than a 14.4 dialup today. I don't know what's up with that... You can find the rider at http://www.paradiseartists.com.
Caroleg
Die-hard Fan

Post by Caroleg »

The quality of Al's opening acts varies significantly. Larry Weaver will always be my favorite.

Seem like the really successful opening acts are the ones that start out talking about how awesome Al is and segue into their regular material.

I was on a 3 day concert tour and the same guy opened all three days. I ran into him outside and chatted for a while on the differences between fan acceptance of his act at consecutive shows. His acts material and length varied depending on audience reaction. Luckily, he had enough material to pick and choose something that the audience would like (or tolerate). I thought he was pretty funny, myself. I guess to the rest of the audience, he just wasn’t Al.
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

I'm hoping Steven Jay gets to open a few shows. He has a great sound with drummer Pete Gallagher. Hard core fans I'm sure would want to hear them and it would give Ak & Zuie a boost!! And Steve seems up to the challenge of opening and then turning around and playing a full show.

Cid
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Seem like the really successful opening acts are the ones that start out talking about how awesome Al is and segue into their regular material.

Well, of course. Successful, intelligent and perceptive. 8)