Opening Acts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Most of the time, from what ive found, the comedians are pretty good and non-offensive. I haqvent seen one comedian who didnt get a sufficent amount of laughs.
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

Having never been to a pop/Weird Al concert before, do opening acts usually start before the show officially starts, or after?
I slice lemons at weirdnesscentral.net
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

I'm trying to remember.. I seem to think that the opening act actually started at the advertised concert start time, but that's been several years so I'm not sure. Anyone else remember?

-Shelley

counting down the days...
julieabr
Occasional

Post by julieabr »

[quote="Shelley"]I'm trying to remember.. I seem to think that the opening act actually started at the advertised concert start time, but that's been several years so I'm not sure. Anyone else remember?[quote]

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it is.

Julie
OlFuzzy
Occasional

Post by OlFuzzy »

I've never been to a concert - Al or otherwise - where the opening act started before the advertised start time, so you should be safe.

I've seen Al thrice - twice on the Bad Hair Tour (a year apart), and once during Touring With Scissors. The first two times a local band opened - The Sleeping Giants first and the Buzz Poets second. (The later seemed genuinely excited to be opening for Al.)

There was a terrible local comedian opening for him on the last tour here. He didn't do much besides point out aspects of local culture, but never really made any jokes persay. (You know that Eat N Park restaurant? You can get cookies there with smiley faces on them! All of that is true, but where am I supposed to laugh?)

He was given a pretty sizable "We Want Al" chant after about five minutes of "humor".
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

do opening acts usually start before the show officially starts, or after?
For an Al concert, most likely the opening act will start sometime near after the advertised time.

At most shows it is like this, but it depends on how many opening acts there are. For example, I'm going to a Reel Big Fish show with three opening acts: Gob, The Matches, and Zebrahead (all good bands by the way). At that show, the first opening act would probably start playing at doors.

-jon
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

When I went to the Cleveland 8-15-99 show, this profane idiot talking about some kid "s***ing his pants in the restaurant and having to chase his s***ty a** across the restaurant" was very very sucky. I remember it was about 10 minutes before start...I think.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I've never been to a concert - Al or otherwise - where the opening act started before the advertised start time, so you should be safe.

Although it does seem to vary, depending on the venue or whoever's putting on the show. I had once entered a theater at the start time and the opening comedian was about halfway finished.

But yeah, the opening act is usually considered part of the whole show, regardless of talent or interest.
Sophie832

Post by Sophie832 »

A couple of years ago, during Touring with Scissors, Al had a pretty good opening act at the Greek Theater in L.A. It was a pair of jugglers/ comedians, and I thought they were great! Does anyone know anything about them?

Maybe this is a good sign for this year's show at the Greek.
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Sophie I LOVE that avatar of yours! I still can't stop laughing! Funny, funny, funny, funny stuff! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry I went so off topic. Ummm....when I went to TWS, there was a very good (and clean) comedian. And even with all the stand-up comedians I watch, I must say he was one of the best I've seen in a long time.