07/12/19 - Metropolitan Opera House - Philadelphia, Pa

2019 - Plus a full orchestra!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: 07/12/19 - Metropolitan Opera House - Philadelphia, Pa

Post by minnick27 »

Elvis wrote:Organizing a flash mob to run up the Rocky steps to "Theme From Rocky XIII". Join us! :mrt:

VIP! - Section PIT2, Row EEE

Dave
Yeah, we can totally do this.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

My parents are going to this one!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Dr eBay
Die-hard Fan

Post by Dr eBay »

I blew it by not buying tickets quick enough :(

If anyone ends up needing to get rid of two tickets for the cheap seats, I'll buy em off you!
Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Post by Patrick »

I was just sitting here thinking about this today. Did anyone get their tickets yet? I'm digging deep in my brain and can't remember getting them. I'm not at home so I can't check my spot I keep tickets, but nothing comes to mind. I wonder if there was a delay on Ticketmaster's end or they really were shipped and I either forgot about them, or never got them.

Edit: Nope, I received my ticket. I just forgot about it.
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

Only a month and a few days left! Can’t wait!
ctgova

Post by ctgova »

We are only days away, now. Loge 4 K 8 ☹️
I would be interested in meeting some fellow weirdos, but I usually tend to avoid large groups.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

What an awesome show! This was my first (and only) show of the tour, and it was even better than I imagined!

First of all, the orchestra seemed to be mixed quite well tonight. I've read people occasionally say that the orchestra wasn't featured very prominently or mixed very loudly in most songs, and you can tell through videos that some shows are mixed better than others. This show, however, sounded amazing. The orchestra was loud, and added so much more to the songs! Also, the backup singers were a fantastic addition to the tour. I wonder if that is something Al and the guys are going to consider doing for future tours!

Alright, onto the nitty gritty. Over the past few shows, I've noticed Steve has started to wear noise cancelling headphones. Not sure if they are replacing the in-ear monitors, or just overtop. The high notes in both Twine Ball and Jurassic Park were both sung in a full voice tonight, and both sounded pretty good! General note, Al has kept his vocals in really good shape through this tour so far. Even at this point during the Mandatory World Tour, songs like DTBS were starting to get a bit raspy!

Don't Download This Song was actually a highlight for me, even though it wasn't one I was particularly excited for when it was originally announced last month. It just sounded so epic with the orchestra and backup singers (I saw a few phone lights waving in the crowd). For Steve's bass solo tonight, he did his infamous Bass Lick (playing with his tongue). Haven't seen him pull that trick out for quite some time now!

There was a guy walking down the aisle during Tacky trying to get to his seat, and Al basically blocked him off and was screaming in his face. The guy seemed shocked to say the least. He also came right by me near the end, so I was probably on the big screen! I don't know why, but everyone in the crowd seems so ecstatic when the music to Harvey the Wonder Hamster starts playing. I didn't think that song had much of a cult following, but it was amazing (no confetti streamers tonight. Seems like they only do it once in a blue moon). I love hearing the audience reactions to Jackson Park Express, as it's very obvious that many people have not heard the song before. Always gets a lot of laughs, and always a fun song live!

Every year I think Al will change the key for Smells Like Nirvana, and every year he doesn't. I'm always surprised he can reach those notes as easily as he does! Also, I just noticed for the first time that Steve plays the song barefoot.

Dare To Be Stupid...this was interesting. As always, everyone just barely made their mark for that song...except Steve. The lights came on, and Steve was nowhere to be found. However, from my angle, I could see into the side wings of the stage. He was frantically jumping up and down trying to zip up his leather suit, which appeared to be stuck. He then disappeared behind the curtains, and emerged probably a minute later in costume, picking up his bass and continuing the song.

Amish Paradise with an orchestra is quite something. I also appreciate that they removed most of the choir backing tracks this tour and let the band and backup singers do it instead. Sounds a lot more organic!

I've never seen a Jawa during TSB at any of my shows, let alone two! Also, one of the Stormtroopers started flossing halfway through the song. I wish I was kidding.

Meet and greet was fun. Got to say hi to Dave and a few WOWAY people, which is always nice. A bit disappointed that you didn't get to pick your own sheet music like at the beginning of the tour. I got "We All Have Cellphones", which wasn't even performed! Doesn't really matter though, the sheet music was basically just a bonus anyway! They move that photo session along quickly, and that's not a bad thing! I was just impressed with how efficient they were! Got to briefly talk to Al both during the photo op and the signing, and he was as nice as always!

I never did get a chance to ask JW why he was "coming to get me", as he relayed through a fellow WOWAY member last tour. So JW, if you're reading this, hit me up! :P
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah, I still don't know, he never really told me. What a nice guy though eh?
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!