Strings Attached Tour 2019

2019 - Plus a full orchestra!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: Strings Attached Tour 2019

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I started thinking.... Generally, last tour aside, as much as I prefer originals, I couldn't see Al starting the show with an original. Having said that, I started thinking. This tour is to show off the orchestra... I can't help but think it would be awesome if he would start the show with Spy Hard, or even This Is The Life, something like that that really showed off the orchestra.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I'd put my money on him opening with a new polka this time around. Has the right energy to start off a show, and he can incorporate the orchestra to the max.

Side note, the promotional videos for this tour include a clip of Word Crimes. Generally, the songs featured in these tour videos are a pretty good indicator of what will show up in the setlist. That also confirms (no surprise) Amish Paradise, White & Nerdy, and Fat. I predict this will be the first time that we see Fat sung in a different key, as the range is beginning to become a bit of a reach. I would reckon the same goes for SLN
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I think Word Crimes is a permanent addition to the set list. Its definitely up there with Fat, SLN and WaN

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

In today's Game Grumps episode, when discussing the Strings Attached Tour, Al said that "you have not heard White & Nerdy or Dare To Be Stupid until you've heard it with a full 85 piece orchestra". I honestly didn't think DTBS would be one of the carry-overs from the Mandatory World Tour, but that seems like pretty solid confirmation in my book.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
ThatGuyLarryNextDoor

Post by ThatGuyLarryNextDoor »

Muppetboy09 wrote:In today's Game Grumps episode, when discussing the Strings Attached Tour, Al said that "you have not heard White & Nerdy or Dare To Be Stupid until you've heard it with a full 85 piece orchestra". I honestly didn't think DTBS would be one of the carry-overs from the Mandatory World Tour, but that seems like pretty solid confirmation in my book.
Nice info! Judging by this new info and your previous message back in November,

“ I believe Al said it would be 50/50, meaning half of the songs in this setlist would have already appeared in the Hollywood Bowl set, whereas half of them will be new. That pretty much covers most of the classics (W&N, AP, Fat, TSB, Yoda, SLN) plus 1 or two more (probably the abridged Acoustic Medley and one more parody from the MF tour). Besides that, we know one or two songs have never been played live before, and that leaves the rest up to interpretation!“

The Hollywood Bowl setlist had 11 songs in the main set, and the standard 2 song Star Wars closing. 13 total songs and with the 50% comment that alludes to 6-7 songs, but I’ll speculate he’s keeping 8 after working out a setlist.

Speculated keepers from the Hollywood Bowl setlist:

“Dare to be Stupid” (confirmed)
“Fat”
“Word Crimes”
“White and Nerdy” (confirmed)
“Amish Paradise”
“Eat It”/”I Lost on Jeopardy”/”I Love Rocky Road”/”Like a Surgeon”
“The Saga Begins”
“Yoda”

It’s hard to see him cutting any of the above songs, and DTBS and W&N were just practically confirmed per your post.

Songs cut or potentially inserted into a medley:
“Tacky”
“Now That’s What I Call Polka”
“Foil”
“Perform This Way”
“Smells Like Nirvana”

Smells Like Nirvana would be the obvious full song choices if any of the above ‘cut’ songs were kept in the main set. At that point, he would then have 9 songs carry over or 70%, which would make his 50/50 comment questionable. Perhaps he will expand the 4 Song Medley to include SLN.

A polka song with an 85 piece orchestra seems like a no-brainer, and he has not performed the Hamilton polka live, so I would speculate that song being 1 of the new songs never played before.

So with the 8 keepers and the Hamilton Polka, that brings us to 9 songs. That would leave only room for 4 more songs on the setlist.

Judging from the Self-Indulgent Tour, ‘Jackson Park Express’ was a high volume play and seems like favorite for this setlist. I would also say ‘Don’t Download This Song’ fits as well as a high volume play on the last tour and, much like JPE, lends itself well to the orchestra.

That leaves 2 remaining songs, with 1 rumored to be a never-played-live song. I’ll go ahead and present my speculation setlist:

Speculated Set List for Strings Attached

Main Set

Jackson Park Express
Hamilton Polka
Pancreas*
Word Crimes
Midnight Star**
Don’t Download This Song
Dare to be Stupid
Fat
White and Nerdy
Amish Paradise
Eat It/I Lost on Jeopardy/I Love Rocky Road/Like a Surgeon***

Encore
(We all have cellphones)
The Saga Begins
Yoda

Notes

*my never played live before pick

**Pipe dream. Missed this one during Self Indulgent Tour. The inclusion of back up singers give it some hope?

***I feel like Smells Like Nirvana may have earned a spot in the re-arrangement Medley. If he does add another song, I could also see adding ‘Fat’ and playing SNL in Fat’s place in the main set.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

I had a sudden thought guys. When I read the post about Al saying "You've never heard DTBS until you've heard it with an orchestra" My initial reaction was: "....Never in a million years did I think I would say that I'm tired of seeing DTBS live..."

BUT, randomly tonight, I thought about that video.... I can't find it now, but, where Al preformed DTBS with a completely different arrangement with an orchistra? (It was a professionally made video, not a regular concert, was in a small room.)

THAT version would be AMAZING if he did that instead. :)

(But Of course, the way it is with me, if it was regular DTBS, This would be me at the concert, "Aww man I was hopi-PUT DOWN THAT CHAINSAW LISTEN TO ME....." )
Margarita
Occasional

Post by Margarita »

RunningWithScissors wrote:BUT, randomly tonight, I thought about that video.... I can't find it now, but, where Al preformed DTBS with a completely different arrangement with an orchistra? (It was a professionally made video, not a regular concert, was in a small room.)
You mean, the video with the string quartet? It was removed from Youtube due to copyright reasons, so I'm posting a screenshot.
I think it's a beautiful arrangement, and if Al rewrites it for a full orchestra, it will sound absolutely amazing! ^_^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Margarita wrote:
RunningWithScissors wrote:BUT, randomly tonight, I thought about that video.... I can't find it now, but, where Al preformed DTBS with a completely different arrangement with an orchistra? (It was a professionally made video, not a regular concert, was in a small room.)
You mean, the video with the string quartet? It was removed from Youtube due to copyright reasons, so I'm posting a screenshot.
I think it's a beautiful arrangement, and if Al rewrites it for a full orchestra, it will sound absolutely amazing! ^_^
Yeah, that! :D
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Ruben revealed on Facebook that they'll be doing Jurassic Park live this year. IN FULL. I'm very excited for this, I've never seen it live before, especially under these circumstances.

I considered this might be a spoiler, but since it's out on the internet, and it's only one song, it couldn't possibly be a big deal that I brought it over here. RIGHT?
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

OneWAY wrote:Ruben revealed on Facebook that they'll be doing Jurassic Park live this year. IN FULL. I'm very excited for this, I've never seen it live before, especially under these circumstances.

I considered this might be a spoiler, but since it's out on the internet, and it's only one song, it couldn't possibly be a big deal that I brought it over here. RIGHT?
This is a real game changer for what the setlist COULD be. What other previously-relegated-to-the-medley parodies could be performed in full with an orchestra?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...