5/18/2018 Turlock Community Theatre, Turlock, CA

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

5/18/2018 Turlock Community Theatre, Turlock, CA

Post by yankochick38 »

Are you going to this show?? Tell us about it!! :lockit:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: 5/18/2018 Turlock Community Theatre, Turlock, CA

Post by TMBJon »

Anyone going to this show?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
orrazib27

Post by orrazib27 »

Went to this show with my soon to be brother in law, who lives in Fresno (normally I'd not go this out of the way to see an Al show, but my future brother in law gave me a very good reason)

Overall, a great show. Different than the AL shows I've seen before, which was to be expected, but the venue was quite literally a high school, and this is their auditorium. Not ugly or bad, necessarily, just by far the weirdest venue I've seen anyone perform in.

Of course, Al made a few jokes about it. That he made sure that Turlock (podunk small town) was the first stop his tour booker scheduled, and that he'd ideally really want a high school auditorium.

Emo did a great job and was funnier than I expected. Al opened the show with Mr. Frump, and, (perhaps due to the fog machines), the fire alarm in the building started going off! Al & band played through it, though. Then it seems they likely figured out how to disable it.

There were some overly excited (read: drunk) guys that yelled a lot at Al in down moments, but were tolerable. A great set list, tonight (in my opinion).

Al talked about it being someone's birthday and played Happy Birthday, he discussed why he only does Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White about 1/10 shows (it kills his throat), and did one of my personal favorite songs, Airline Amy.

The serous cover was Elton John's "Funeral For a Friend", and it was phenomenal. Al explained about teaching himself to play rock songs on the accordion with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, amusing folks in college playing songs from it, and how it was "indulgent" for him to be playing it.

Here's the full recording of Funeral for a Friend, with Al's explanation of its importance: https://youtu.be/CXxEKSkw1xU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's Al playing through a fire alarm on Mr. Frump: https://youtu.be/eafByhFpBvE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall, a great show, and I'm excited to see him again tomorrow in Oakland!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

One HELL of a set you guys got!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

OOH MY WORLDS HAVE OFFICIALLY CRASHED INTO EACH OTHER! :inlove:
BTW that's my favorite song of all time EVER!!
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Any "solos" at this show?
orrazib27

Post by orrazib27 »

Yes, one. Steve did a Bass Solo.