3/20/2018 Music Center at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: 3/20/2018 Music Center at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD

Post by minnick27 »

I dont go and he does NTTH?!?! What the crap man!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
uwvark
Off The Deep End

Post by uwvark »

There were lots of empty seats. I was surprised.

:peace:
I got 99 problems but BTD ain't one.
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

So did Al introduce DTBS as a Grateful Dead song again, or is he trying to move past that now?

Man......this has been a crazy run. After following along in this group since the 2nd night of the tour, the next two shows I'll be experiencing in person again! Now that I have a better idea of what to expect, I'm more excited than ever. Would LOVE to see When I Was Your Age at one of them, and Good Enough For Now is a MUST SEE for me and my fiancee at the second NYC show, so that we can practice dancing to it for our wedding! :hug:
8/23/94 5/28/96 8/3/99 2/3/00 5/11/00 5/12/00 7/7/00 10/29/00x2 11/2/00 11/3/00 11/4/00 7/25/02 7/10/03 7/18/03 9/20/07 9/3/10 5/14/15 3/1/18 3/22/18 3/23/18 7/20/19 4/26/22 5/10/22 5/13/22 10/29/22
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Yankomaniac wrote:Dare To Be Stupid
The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota
Good Old Days
When I Was Your Age
Don't Download This Song
My Own Eyes
You Don't Love Me Anymore
I'll Sue Ya
Let Me Be Your Hog
Generic Blues
drum solo
Jackson Park Express
Nature Trail To Hell
The Night Santa Went Crazy
One More Minute
Albuquerque
Medley :killed:

Refugee
The Saga Begins

The first song was "Good Old Days"

Also switch the order of "Let Me Be Your Hog" and "I'll Sue Ya"

richegreen wrote:So did Al introduce DTBS as a Grateful Dead song again, or is he trying to move past that now?
Tonight he said it was a request from Emo who saved his life in Vietnam.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

After an initial headache of tickets that I got through a reseller not properly scanning and not being let into the theater (don't use EventBrite), the kind house manager at the Strathmore was able to let us in to some empty seats about halfway through Emo's set.

And I'm pretty stoked with the set list we got!! Particularly Don't Download This Song and Nature Trail to Hell were a joy to hear. Jon did the screams during the NTtH solo and it was beautiful. Going from that into The Night Santa Went Crazy gave the show a festive Halloween-y/Christmas-y feel, in a fun twisted sense. Albuquerque was restarted when Al lost his train of thought, which was hilarious to see in person. Also, not unique to this concert, but I had never heard Smells Like Nirvana unplugged, and man, putting that song in a major key for the first verse is so odd, but I loved the humor they injected into it.

I really hope that when/if Al returns to the usual concert format, he keeps some level of interaction with the audience... may not be possible with costume changes, but it was just really fantastic to have an evening with Al, and occasionally other band members, as people in addition to as performers. The preface for Let Me Be Your Hog legitimately mislead me, as did bringing up The Hamilton Polka prior to When I Was Your Age. "Well, we haven't really rehearsed it, but with your permission... we're gonna do something completely different. This song is called When I Was Your Age." And devoting Don't Download This Song to the noble cause of the "dying recording industry" really extended that song's message, of speaking out against piracy but also satirizing people/companies who make a big deal out of it.

Anyway, after the show may have been the best part. I invited a friend I met in college last semester to the show, unbeknownst that her mom is good friends with Bermuda. So, we were able to get complimentary backstage passes, and actually go backstage, which was different from the formal experience you get with VIP tickets. Met Emo Philips, had a nice long conversation with Jon, and a decently long one with Al as well! He recognized from Twitter the Hamilton Polka artwork I made and showed to him.

Me and Emo!

L to R: Al, me, Lily (friend), Linda (friend's mom), Jon

And now the best part:

I now have a lucky, lucky, autographed, glow-in-the-dark snorkel! How serendipitous that Albuquerque was played tonight.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

At the time I was supposed to leave Philly it was hailing pretty good. The time I was supposed to be returning from Maryland was supposed to be snowing. I get up this morning there is not a stupid thing on the ground. To say I'm upset is an understatement. But I'm glad that everybody who went had a good time

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Going down we saw 5 cars off the road so it was understandable if people stayed home. DC closed down all government and NJ declared a state of emergency so we left around 8 this morning. Turned out to be nothing but rain and a few snowflakes during the whole ride home so far all the work up is over nothing.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

drewdy9999 wrote:The preface for Let Me Be Your Hog legitimately mislead me
Hahah, I instantly said "oh, it's HOG!!!!" out loud. He was building it up too much, so it just had to be hog. I also caught on to the fact that that he was talking about Albuquerque when he said the song was auto-biographical and completely true.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

I swear I saw somebody on here asking about being able to find a video of Refugee... I won't link it, but you should be able to find it now if you go looking :)
uwvark
Off The Deep End

Post by uwvark »

Oh yes it was bad leaving. 10 min down the road some guy lost it and almost took us out. Saw plenty of big rig wrecks. Once we got to PA though everything was fine. That was surprising.

There's no way Cleveland can be 3 in a row snowstorms for us.

I got 99 problems but BTD ain't one.