Portugal The Man Al Remixes (Was PtM)

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Portugal The Man Al Remixes (Was PtM)

Post by Elvis »

Ya know how they say never meet your heroes? Well, if your hero is Weird Al you meet the smurf out of them and somehow they are even more amazing than you could ever have imagined. YOU GUYS WONT BELIEVE THIS BUT smurfin' @alfredyankovic REMIXED TWO SONGS FOR US! TWO!!!!!
source

There’s pictures at that link too. They sound pretty excited. :lol:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
CB Johnny
Addicted

Re: Portugal The Man

Post by CB Johnny »

WalterWhite wrote:They are on Australian Spotify!
Spoiler:
They're "remixes" of "Feel It Still" and "Live in the Moment" by Al. The original vocals are still there but Al plays accordion and has also added background sounds and vocals.
The countdown begins :lol:
Stardraw123
Occasional

Post by Stardraw123 »

I'm a ghost that haunts WOWAY oOoOoOoOo

Concerts:
8/29/15
6/23/16(meet and greet)
5/19/18
8/10/19
6/18/22(meet and greet)
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Well this is amazing :lol:

If remixes and polkas based off musicals are the compromise to no more conventional polka medleys, bring it on :whoot:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Re: Portugal The Man Al Remixes (Was PtM)

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Elvis wrote:
Ya know how they say never meet your heroes? Well, if your hero is Weird Al you meet the smurf out of them and somehow they are even more amazing than you could ever have imagined. YOU GUYS WONT BELIEVE THIS BUT smurfin' @alfredyankovic REMIXED TWO SONGS FOR US! TWO!!!!!
source

There’s pictures at that link too. They sound pretty excited. :lol:

Dave
Portugal. The Man is without a doubt my favorite band (besides Al). They'd been relatively unknown before Feel It Still so watching that song blow up gave me hope that one day Al would do something with them. John (lead singer) grew up in Alaska and Al was his major influence growing up. They even tour with a drum kit with Al's face on it saying "We wouldn't be here with out Weird Al."
In hiding since 2010
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I liked those way more than I thought I would! They were fantastic.

I wonder what led to these coming about.
And Peggy
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Back when it was announced that Al was in the studio, I speculated that we might get a parody of Feel it Still, due to the song's popularity and Al's connection with the band. And because I was unsure if they had a sound the was distinctive enough to warrant a pastiche, though Al has worked with less with less in the past. But polka based remixes, are not what I expected, so this is welcome surprise.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

I’m glad they’re calling these remixes. It’s fun, but they are a bit repetitive compared to Al’s typical polkas since he’s limited by the form/tempo of the original songs here. The vocal style/production doesn’t really match the polka feel, but Al's additional vocals do help. This kind of crossover will gain new Weird Al fans, so that’s good! I guess it's just unusual to hear Al music without him as the main vocalist. Again, "remix" is a fitting title. I don't recall Weird Al doing any mashups like this, so it's cool that he's done that now. Makes me curious to hear what other formats he might try.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Big Spoon wrote:
I wonder what led to these coming about.
Sounds like John from the band asked Al to do a couple remixes for them since they're huge fans of Al.
In hiding since 2010
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

This was absolutely delightful. I imagine at least one of the band members are "one of us" so if you're lurking... Bravo and congrats on living a dream ;)