2/27/2018 Bardavon 1869 Opera, Poughkeepsie, NY

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

You Make Me
Occasional

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by You Make Me »

Way too much to cover but I’ll add a few comments...
They did CNR after Fun Zone
Something that needs to be said about this tour is how laid back it is. Al spoke before every song, many times telling a story about it, joked around, and chatted with Jim quite a bit. Not only are you gonna get a different set every night, you’re gonna get whatever is on his mind in between songs.
I haven’t seen Emo in over 20 years but he’s a genius.
A copy of the UHF soundtrack on cassette can be yours for just $50. I’ll have to dig mine up.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Muppetboy09 wrote:I did see a photo of him with a tambourine, so maybe Dave just forgot to tweet CNR. Also, is there any confirmation that Fun Zone was in fact done live?
Someone had mentioned here previously that Jim confirmed in an interview that they were rehearsing that song live to open the show, so I just naturally assumed it was based on that bit of information.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
mybologna
Regular

Post by mybologna »

You know what I'm loving most about all this? Al just seems to be so genuinely excited and happy about this tour, more than I've ever seen him get excited about previous things in the past, at least publicly. That "SO MUCH FUN" tweet after the show yesterday just says it all...and that makes me so happy to see!!!!

I'm so glad he made it to this point in his career where he can do something like this!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Yes on “CNR”. I tweeted it or at least I typed it into my phone. Maybe I didn’t #VanityTour ?

Anyway excellent show. The tour is definitely one for the hardcore fans who know his deep cuts! I love not knowing what the set list will be every night! I want to quit my job and tour chase full time this tour!

A few hiccups and I think 1 or 2 false starts they had to reset and try again. but to be expected for what Al called the practice show. The in between song banter was nice. A few of the stories Al told were news to me. Al reached out to Clarence Clemons to see if he would play saxophone on a song and he agreed. Then a few days before he was set to record Al got a call that he backed out. Al asked why and was told he just found out that the title of the track he was supposed to perform on was called “Party At The Leper Colony”. :lol:

Don’t want to say too much more yet. Alicia will post my review. Yes you read that right, I’m not delirious from lack of sleep - actually I am but I’m not lying about that - I outsourced my reviews this year. Sweet! ^_^

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: 2/27/2018 Bardavon 1869 Opera, Poughkeepsie, NY

Post by Big Spoon »

I see "Drum Solo" on your setlist, Dave. Was it a joke drum solo like Bermuda does sometimes (one beat of the drum) or a longer one?
And Peggy
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Muppetboy09 wrote:EDIT: Is that Hawkeye?
Yep! ^_^

"I thought you retired?"
"Me too."
Big Spoon wrote:I see "Drum Solo" on your setlist, Dave. Was it a joke drum solo like Bermuda does sometimes (one beat of the drum) or a longer one?
I think they were stalling due to technical difficulties. Al went to Jim for a guitar solo but he caught Jim off guard and Jim wasn't ready, so then he threw it to Bermuda for a drum solo. It was a joke solo, more than one beat of the drum but short enough to not be a "real" drum solo.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
hungerfan
Occasional

Post by hungerfan »

This thread makes me very exciting...but also sad that April 27 is sooooo far away.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Muppetboy09 wrote:Okay, was 100% NOT expecting to see Jackson Park Express pop up in the setlist.
You should've trusted me. I explained in the YNN video why JPE was all but certain to be played!

Amazing first setlist. Can't wait to see what changes in the days ahead. It looks like 17 originals were played. I am predicting that the end of every show will be the acoustic parody medley, a rotating cover, and The Saga Begins. The rest of the songs will be what rotates. We'll see!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
TheToolMan
Occasional

Post by TheToolMan »

yankochick38 wrote:
Muppetboy09 wrote:Alright, JPE, SFTCTM, and now DDTS...this makes me happy
All that's missing is Albuquerque and Trapped in the Drive-Thru! :#
Are you forgetting The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota?
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Elvis wrote: Don’t want to say too much more yet. Alicia will post my review. Yes you read that right, I’m not delirious from lack of sleep - actually I am but I’m not lying about that - I outsourced my reviews this year. Sweet! ^_^
Here it is!! :whoot:

Youtube

If you are going to a show on this tour and would like to have your concert review featured on the channel, please contact me!

-Alicia
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia