Songs You Could Live Without

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Songs You Could Live Without

Post by TMBJon »

A bit controversial but which originals could you live without seeing on this tour?

For me, it is anything played in the last 10 years of touring, plus UHF and Albuquerque (the latter would be fine once or twice during the tour, especially in Santa Fe, but no need to make it a regular thing.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Re: Songs You Could Live Without

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I think the biggest one for me is Albuquerque. It is a fun song live, and they pull it off well, but it takes up so much time. With a 90 minute set, you are taking up about 10% of the time with a single song. I would much rather hear 3 obscure songs than Albuquerque.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Dare To Be Stupid. I love the song but was pretty disappointed when it was brought back last tour. That being said, I think its popularity will all but guarantee it not being in.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

minnick27 wrote:Dare To Be Stupid. I love the song but was pretty disappointed when it was brought back last tour. That being said, I think its popularity will all but guarantee it not being in.
I know Al intends to play a lot of deep cuts but I doubt he will reject songs (especially originals) for being "too popular." The fact that it's a relatively well-known original actually makes me think it's more likely to be a regular part of the setlist, because he can't expect 100% of the audience to consist of hardcore fans.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

TMBJon wrote:For me, it is anything played in the last 10 years of touring, plus UHF and Albuquerque (the latter would be fine once or twice during the tour, especially in Santa Fe, but no need to make it a regular thing.
Okay, Jon, your first answer makes sense to me (alas, this is a tour with no commercial appeal). But seriously? Why not UHF and Albuquerque?

Oh by the way Factory Showroom is still a pretty mediocre TMBG album. No longer the worst in my book but still. While we’re on about your bad opinions.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

It's hard for me to pin down songs I don't want to hear, but I have a similar opinion to Jon. Dare To Be Stupid has been played on and off for the last three tours, so it wouldn't hurt me to miss it again. I'd like to see Albuquerque again, but then again, I'd like a pretty decent amount of other originals too. I can't imagine it will knock out more than one or two songs from the set on any given night, though. I liked the originals from the 2010 tour, but the only one I really want to return is Good Old Days. I could live without Wanna B Ur Lovr, but there might riots from other fans (I know some of them). I could also live without most "recent" originals, with the exception of My Own Eyes and Close But No Cigar. That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Never thought I'd say this but, I really hope there's no Dare To Be Stupid. I love it, but I've seen Al 5 times (over a 16 year period) and he's done it 4 of those times, including the MF tour. Before that he seemed to do it one tour every 10 years, and that seemed about right. But doing it on the MF tour seemed too soon again (And I saw him once both years), so I really hope he gives that a rest. And it's one of the originals more likely to show back up on a regular set in the future.

Albequerque... I have mixed feelings on. It's absolutely in my top 5 al songs, and I would really like to see it again. On the other hand, like others have pointed out, that could be 2-3 other rare songs he could be doing. So I dunno.

But he's gotta do UHF :o

I don't wanna see any originals from MF, Alpocolypse, SOL, or Poodle Hat that he already did live. (I threw in PH because I'm not really a fan of that album..... and stopped before RWS because it's one of my favs...) (Though I wouldn't hate to see Close But No Cigar again.... But I hope for Virus Alert, If That Isn't Love, and My Own Eyes).
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Anything from Mandatory Fun, Alpocalypse, or Straight Outta Lynwood that hasn't been played live before.
Dare To Be Stupid, definitely. We've heard it two of the previous three tours, and it's not one of my favorites. I don't hate it, but there are so many other songs I'd love to hear instead.
That Boy Could Dance
Mr. Popeil
Such A Groovy Guy
Young, Dumb & Ugly
She Never Told Me She Was A Mime
Trigger Happy - At least not with the current political climate. I'm sure Al wouldn't play it anyways, but still. I love the song, just wouldn't really gel with most audiences.
When I Was Your Age
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Heds wrote:Why not UHF and Albuquerque?
ABQ for the same reasons Muppetboy mentioned. It would be cool to hear it come up once or twice, but it would take up three slots and I'd rather hear other songs.
As for UHF, I'm just not that big of a fan of the song. The lyrics aren't funny and the music isn't that interesting. (I do really like the music video though.) Like I said, this thread has the potential to create some disagreements, but I've always been of the opinion that UHF would be a boring song to see live.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

If That Isn't Love or Ringtone. Not Al's finest moments.