The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

OneWAY
Obsessed

Re: 2018 "No Commercial Potential" Tour

Post by OneWAY »

Depending on the severity of the changes from night to night, it won't be that big a deal. I remember when the 2010 tour was announced; I can't remember exactly what was said, but the implication was that there would be several rotating spots (there were 2), I think. The only issue is if the set list the next night is so awesome that you end up envious even though you got a fairly unique show yourself. I'll be okay either way!
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
mswirtz
Occasional

Post by mswirtz »

If I do what I did for his last tour, I will see him multiple times so I wouldn't mind different sets! But it obviously depends on where he tours and if I have the money. And MF has been the only tour I've been to so I don't mind variety :)
trueweirdalfan

Post by trueweirdalfan »

Wow, for a Weird Al "fan" site there's a lot of whining in this thread about Al not doing the same old show he's been doing for 10 or 15 years solid. These types of shows everyone is bemoaning about NOT happening are aimed at casual "fans". "Every show is someone's first time. He should do safe, well worn staples and chestnuts that don't confuse me or make me uncomfortable. We need costumes because FUNNY!!!" Well, you know what? This show is NOT aimed at you people. It's aimed at people who have been following and supporting his career from the very beginning, who appreciate his music that he has abandoned in concert. If this makes you unhappy, nervous, uncomfortable or bored, then a) catch him on the next tour or b) watch his concert on DVD or c) maybe should have showed up at one of his safe, crowd pleasing, yawn inducing shows the last 15 years that aim to please casual fans who don't want to think any deeper than the usual setlist. Sorry, but watching "Fat" and hearing "Yoda" for the 18th millionth quadrillionth time doesn't tickle my funny bone or make me chortle until I can't breathe anymore. It's old, tired, and boring. I've been DYING for a show like this, and the fact he's doing smaller venues that don't aim to please a large, family style crowd, but rewards his most loyal fans [the people who made him who he is today] (oh, the horror! What about grandma though!?) pleases me greatly. I'll be there showing my support, getting something fresh in my face and ears, enjoying myself completely for the first time in years at a Weird Al show. The rest of the surface listeners can stay home and out of my seat.
Last edited by trueweirdalfan on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

trueweirdalfan wrote:Wow, for a Weird Al "fan" site there's a lot of whining in this thread about Al not doing the same old show he's been doing for 10 or 15 years solid. These types of shows everyone is bemoaning about NOT happening are aimed at casual "fans". "Every show is someone's first time. He should do safe, well worn staples and chestnuts that don't confuse me or make me uncomfortable. We need costumes because FUNNY!!!" Well, you know what? This show is NOT aimed at you people. It's aimed at people who have been following and supporting his career from the very beginning, who appreciate his music that he has abandoned in concert. If this makes you unhappy, nervous, uncomfortable or bored, then a) catch him on the next tour or b) watch his concert on DVD or c) maybe should have showed up at one of his safe, crowd pleasing, yawn inducing shows the last 15 years that aim to please casual fans who don't want to think any deeper than the usual setlist. Sorry, but watching "Fat" and hearing "Yoda" for the 18th millionth quadrillionth time doesn't tickle my funny bone or make me chortle until I can't breathe anymore. It's old, tired, and boring. I've been DYING for a show like this, and the fact he's doing smaller venues that don't aim to please a large, family style crowd, but rewards his most loyal fans [the people who made him who he is today] (oh, the horror! What about grandma though!?) pleases me greatly. I'll be there showing my support, getting something fresh in my face and ears, enjoying myself completely for the first time in years at a Weird Al show.
I'm don't think many people have been whining...at least not on here. Most everyone here is stoked to hear some original songs that haven't been played before. Not sure where you are getting the sense that we are upset with this change...
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
trueweirdalfan

Post by trueweirdalfan »

Muppetboy09 wrote:
trueweirdalfan wrote:Wow, for a Weird Al "fan" site there's a lot of whining in this thread about Al not doing the same old show he's been doing for 10 or 15 years solid. These types of shows everyone is bemoaning about NOT happening are aimed at casual "fans". "Every show is someone's first time. He should do safe, well worn staples and chestnuts that don't confuse me or make me uncomfortable. We need costumes because FUNNY!!!" Well, you know what? This show is NOT aimed at you people. It's aimed at people who have been following and supporting his career from the very beginning, who appreciate his music that he has abandoned in concert. If this makes you unhappy, nervous, uncomfortable or bored, then a) catch him on the next tour or b) watch his concert on DVD or c) maybe should have showed up at one of his safe, crowd pleasing, yawn inducing shows the last 15 years that aim to please casual fans who don't want to think any deeper than the usual setlist. Sorry, but watching "Fat" and hearing "Yoda" for the 18th millionth quadrillionth time doesn't tickle my funny bone or make me chortle until I can't breathe anymore. It's old, tired, and boring. I've been DYING for a show like this, and the fact he's doing smaller venues that don't aim to please a large, family style crowd, but rewards his most loyal fans [the people who made him who he is today] (oh, the horror! What about grandma though!?) pleases me greatly. I'll be there showing my support, getting something fresh in my face and ears, enjoying myself completely for the first time in years at a Weird Al show.
I'm don't think many people have been whining...at least not on here. Most everyone here is stoked to hear some original songs that haven't been played before. Not sure where you are getting the sense that we are upset with this change...
Dude, the comments are all over the thread about being unhappy with no costume changes, no setlist standards, no popular songs, etc. It's stunning to me, honestly, to hear this on a Weird Al fan forum.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Alright, I just re-read the thread, and here's my two cents. The first probably 5 pages were when Al announced that he would be doing an unplugged tour. Unplugged means (in the sense that it did this past tour) acoustic set. So everybody was reacting to the thought of an all acoustic show. Later, Al clarified that it wouldn't be acoustic, rather stripped down, meaning normal show, just without costume changes and videos. I saw a lot of people (including myself) saying things like "it's going to be weird seeing a show without costume changes". That's not a bad thing, but it WILL be weird, so to say, after him doing this kind of show for 20 years! Also, they weren't saying he SHOULD do popular songs, it's just that he has said in the past that he usually feels obligated to perform certain popular songs. If you want to yell at people for complaining about the changing setlist, yell at me. I'm the one who brought it up. When I saw the article about different sets, my mind jumped to a completely different set every night, no repeats. I'm fine if he does what he has done in the past, rotating out a couple songs throughout the set, that just keeps it interesting! The only reason I wasn't "thrilled" with the idea is that some people can't attend multiple shows a year, so to have him perform a rarity that everyone really wants to hear one night, only to have it not show up the following nights, might be a bit of a bummer (but not the worst thing on the planet, hence me saying I am still stoked). That being said, even though I always wanted to see YMM during the Alpocalypse tour, never once was I disappointed when it didn't show up, because I was at a freaking Weird Al concert! Can't get better than that. So anyway, yeah, be angry with me if you want, but people are just giving their opinions on this topic that hasn't even been set in stone yet.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
trueweirdalfan

Post by trueweirdalfan »

Muppetboy09 wrote: I'm fine if he does what he has done in the past, rotating out a couple songs throughout the set, that just keeps it interesting! The only reason I wasn't "thrilled" with the idea is that some people can't attend multiple shows a year, so to have him perform a rarity that everyone really wants to hear one night, only to have it not show up the following nights, might be a bit of a bummer
Everyone gets something special in this scenario of no standard setlist. Everyone is disappointed but everyone gets pleased at the same time. I happen to enjoy shows with no standard setlist. I like fluidity and spontaneity. I also cannot attend multiple shows per year, but I'm willing to take that bullet for something truly special.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Adding to what MuppetBoy said, I hear the astonishment and frustration, fellow fan, and in return I hope you hear my own. I just reread the thread and am perplexed as to how you could get the idea that any of us aren't looking forward to the tour. There's, at best, constructive questioning of its downsides but that's healthy.

Also a sincere welcome to WOWAY. You're encouraged and invited to introduce yourself at the Newbie Zone subforum and, if necessary, brush up on rules and etiquette here. You have valid opinions and I'm sure you have plenty to offer to this pocket of the fandom. I want you to enjoy your time here if you choose to stay past tonight now that you aired your grievance.

Since you were honest with us, allow me to return the gesture. I felt as if these good people here were being belittled and condescended to for having a (seemingly) different opinion from some who touts them self as some sort of "true" fan when in reality this isn't a hierarchy. Whether it's encyclopedic knowledge, cosplay, tour chasing, tattoos, post count, leadership, and in your case the expectations or opinions on the 2018 tour: they are all fine diverse things to celebrate. However, the only criteria for being a "true" fan is just being honest: If you enjoy Al's work then you enjoy Al's work. The rest is their own business. I hope you consider that when asking yourself what it means to be respectful to each other here if you choose to stay as WOWAY isn't a Youtube comments section. Please and thank you.

So my name's Johnny.
My first kiss was during the final bars of the Yoda encore.
In my latest successful corporate interview I cited Al as my professional influence.
Al wanted a photo of me in my Milo Murphy's Law cosplay to send to co-creators Swampy and Dan.
My next tattoo is our boy in an Invader Zim style above the signature Al wrote on my leg.
and you know what?.... My friends, co-workers, and family who at best probably just bought one or two albums are just as valid and true a fan as you or me. So I'm welcoming you just as I'd welcome them. :w
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I hope they just do an excellent mix of older originals and newer stuff like My Own Eyes. They should just do what they want most importantly. Live version of Genius In France finally would be insane! I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead also be perfect for this.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

If this haunted attraction director gets to finally see Nature Trail To Hell performed then I can die happily. :peace: