BlizzCon 4-5 November 2016

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

catladyleeann
Regular

Re: BlizzCon 4-5 November 2016

Post by catladyleeann »

bermuda wrote: There were at least 3 feeds - our monitors, the audience mix, and the feed for DirecTV. My pad was definitely working and played in all the right places for the band mix, but I found out later that it was missing at times, at least on the streamed show. I don't know if it was working for the live audience. The guitar issue was apparently something onstage, as none of us had it, despite it working earlier in the show. And the unplugged medley snare mic was an issue during the run-through, but we couldn't trace it. Shouldn't have affected the mix, although we only hear what we hear from the monitor board.

Overall it was a good performance though. The few absolutely necessary fixes are in the works. :)

Bermuda
I think it was a really great show. It was so neat to be across the country in Mobile, Alabama, and still "be there" at the concert. I especially liked the close ups that the camera people got of each of you. Even on the front row in an auditorium, you can't really see the looks that pass between the performers as the songs are played, so it was nice to be privy to that aspect of the show. I think it was excellent, and the few glitches there were weren't enough to distract me from the music and you guys as you played it. :flower: :w

Y'all continue to make my heart sing, and although I know you need time off from the road, I'm so ready for 2018 to get here so I can see y'all again.
Well, this is it. This IS the last minute!
mybologna
Regular

Post by mybologna »

bermuda wrote:The few absolutely necessary fixes are in the works. :)

Bermuda
I'm just curious, if further editing is being done to fix up the broadcast, is the concert going to be available on a wider media spectrum soon? Not a DVD necessarily since we just had one 4 years ago, but something like available for streaming on YouTube etc., something like that? It'd stink if it was only available on the Blizzcon website than gone forever, with the exception of the stream rips (which, while nice, have frame rate issues X* )

This concert being streamed was really the perfect send-off to a perfect 2 years of Al. A great new album, hilarious new music videos, his album finally going number 1, handfuls of cameos/interviews/TV spots/sketches, an incredibly successful world tour, the Hollywood Bowl, and finally...a brand new official concert capture to tie it all together. Just perfect!
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

I downloaded it off YouTube in case it gets removed from YT or BC
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

So Ruben posted this on Facebook:
DirectTV streamed the concert from Blizzcon 2016 at the Anaheim Convention Center last night.....12,000 people (New fans) going crazy...(The camera could only capture 1/4 of the crowd).............. Our final concert for a Long time..... It's been a great couple of years......Thanks to Jim Kimo West for the pic.
I don't know why, but the "long time" makes me a bit sad. Hopefully a long time is about a year and a half :(W
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

So the concert is now available in the video on demand section, and wow, it's been totally re-edited. Camera work is so much better - still loads of lovely shots of the band but now in places where they don't cover up any visual gags Al is doing - and the sound mix is a lot more even than it was on the livestream. It's awesome.

Honestly this should be a DVD so I hereby add my signature to the petition. I mean I know we had a DVD of the last tour also but I would totally buy this (as long as it's available in my region, anyway - I'm looking at you, region 1 exclusive Alpocalypse Live DVD :stern: )

:accordion: :tacky:
Love and peace.
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

Sappho wrote:So the concert is now available in the video on demand section, and wow, it's been totally re-edited. Camera work is so much better [...] It's awesome
This is really good to hear, thanks for letting us know!

And I agree, the "last concert for a long time" bit is a bit disappointing. In a way. On the other hand, touring is a LOT of work. They've definitely earned a break.

But it is quite fitting that this last concert, after a long tour, after a rest period, was recorded and is preserved. Symbolic of years of refinement of the setlist, and showing just how fine-tuned they all are at their craft. Simply amazing.
I'm still thinking about how great it was, and look forward to watching the edit.

You have to keep in mind, that complaints about the live show, and the camera work, it is tricky. Again, it was a live show, and there's no way of knowing what is perfect to show at any given moment.
So the fact that they did put in the time and effort to edit the camerawork for the video archive (and with such a quick turnaround!) is really quite impressive, and shows the kind of attention to detail and dedication that is at work here.

Not sure what my point is. If there was a point.
I just appreciate all the details of everything.
Silence will fall.
Sappho
Obsessed

Post by Sappho »

Wait hold up, Yoda's missing from the end. O_o I just watched through the end and 'Saga is the last song in the recording, for some reason. Though they did manage to add Jim's guitar back into the mix so that's good.

And yeah, I suppose live directing a thing like this it can be hard to figure out what you should be showing. The only way to know is if you knew exactly what was going to happen beforehand.
Love and peace.
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

Looks like they also removed the Jerry Assange segments for the Video Archive. :ph34r:
Silence will fall.
stardrop
Occasional

Post by stardrop »

Watching the video archive now... Party in the CIA / It's All About the Pentiums / Handy are missing?
Sappho
Obsessed

Post by Sappho »

The Doctor wrote:Looks like they also removed the Jerry Assange segments for the Video Archive. :ph34r:
Well, that I was expecting. The videos and other in-between stuff are usually cut in WAY concert registrations. The missing songs, not so much. :blink:

Though from what I understand the Alpocalypse Live DVD also has a few songs missing... that were then added back in as extras? I am kinda lost here. :wacko:
Love and peace.