Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Re: Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

Sappho wrote:How's this for an unpopular opinion: I actually don't think most of Al's songs are all that funny.

Interesting? For sure. Entertaining? Definitely. Clever? AbsoLutely. But as much as I love them, very few actually make me laugh out loud.
Same here I love his music but I never laugh
claykid12345
Occasional
Awards: nothing

Post by claykid12345 »

i hate eat it. its overrated and unfunny. :angry:
...it's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys, it's time to let the bedbugs bite...
Weird Al Concerts I've been to:
6/30/16 - Kansas City, MO (Mandatory Fun Tour)
8/31/19 - Kansas City, MO (Strings Attached Tour)
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

In comparison to the ~160 songs in his discography, I can see how it'd be unfunny in comparison, but I don't know if I'd call it overrated. It gave Al the kind of exposure to have the next hundred songs be released in the first place.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

* I would've liked to see Al do at least one other country song parody ("Achy Breaky Heart" and "You Belong with Me" are the only two country songs he's ever done). Granted, we already had Cledus T. Judd making a name for himself as a country parodist, but outside a few exceptions like "Any Man of Mine", Cledus rarely parodied country songs that crossed over to pop. Surely Al could've made something out of a Dixie Chicks, Shania, or Garth song in the late 90s-early 2000s, or done something based on Sam Hunt, Lady Antebellum, Luke Bryan, etc. more contemporarily.

* I liked the peacock suit for "Perform This Way" in part because my last name is Peacock (no, really). However, I can see why he does the octopus/ice cream cone thing now, because it looks less baggy and cumbersome.

* I like "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch" because of how lame it is.

* "Eat It" took a few listens to grow on me. I think that's because "Bad" was the first MJ song I ever heard and thus my favorite, and I heard "Fat" well before "Eat It", so I always held more of a soft spot for "Fat".

* "Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me" is my favorite song of his. I know I've heard positive things about it, but I don't think anyone else has ever ranked it as their favorite.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

TenPoundHammer wrote:* "Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me" is my favorite song of his. I know I've heard positive things about it, but I don't think anyone else has ever ranked it as their favorite.
This is a great Unpopular Opinion! :clap:
I think you're nuts of course.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Nice, wake up laugh! Yeah, it is certainly good, and to each his own.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!