Make The Rock Hall Weird!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

George Harrison - Al connection. Song parodied.
Jackson Browne - Al connection. Mentioned in "Buy Me A Condo"
Bob Seger - no connection? :unsure:
Prince - Al connection. Video parody and style parody and butt of numerous jokes.

The Dells - no connection? :unsure:
Traffic - no connection? :unsure:
ZZ Top - Al connection. Video parody and song covered in polka.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks, Dave for pointing out the Al connections. So, you see, iisryan, Al fits right in with the group of artists you mentioned. Don't knock him getting into the Rock Hall!* :stern:

Patti

*that's how you came off to me.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

iisryan27 @ Jan 25 2004, 10:58 AM wrote: Really, though. Which doesn't fit into the group: George Harrison, Jackson Browne, ZZ Top, and "Weird Al" Yankovic?

Are you saying that Al isn't worthy to be put into the hall? He fits in just fine!
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I think if anyone doesn't belong in there it's The Dells and Traffic. Who the heck are those groups? I've never even heard of them. However, most people, fans or not, have heard of "Weird Al" Yankovic, or "Weird Al" Yankovich, but still! :P

BTW, in addition to the George Harrison connection that Dave pointed out, you could also add:

Video parody on ALTV
Interviewed on ALTV
3 Beatles songs parodied
1 Beatles song in a polka
Beatles visual parody in UHF
The Compleat Beatles parody
The Beatles Anthology parody - Al's songbook

For Prince, you can also add:

Intervied on "Guide to the Grammys"

Bob Segar? Hmm. There's got to be a connection somewhere. A reference, if nothing else. I'll have to think on that one.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Traffic was a band that was kind of popular in the '70's. I believe Steve Winwood was in it, and was pretty much the leader. Some songs by Traffic include Dear Mr. Fantasy and The Low spark of High-heeled Boys. Mr. Winwood went on to even greater success when he left Traffic, but I can see their importance. The Dells? That's a new one. I've heard of the Delphonics, but not the Dells. So, Traffic, yes, Dells, no.

Patti

So awesome!

Al Team #325
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I searched Google for the Dells but I just got a bunch of hotels. They didn't even have a category for the group. Shows how important they are.

I bet that at least half of the people in the Hall of Fame have a sort of direct connection to Al.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I just thought of something. Al did make fun of Steve Winwood once. It was during Mtv's New Years' show *'86, I think.* He showed some clips from music videos, and did a narrative over them. A clip from one of Steve Winwood's *can't recall the song* came on, in which Steve is covering one eye with his hand, then uncovering it. Al said something about "Stevie Winwood playing peek-a-boo", then showed a few more videos with people doing that *Madonna's "Open Your Heart" being another one.* Then he said, "Pretty soon, all the kids were doing it!" hehe! So, there ya go! A connection between at least one member of Traffic, and Al!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I vaguely remember seeing that too, Patti. I think it might have been "Weird Al's Guide to the Grammy's" or one of the ALTV segments where he did ALTV video awards. I don't think I've ever seen the MTV New Years' show, though. But I'm pretty sure I've seen the clip you're talking about.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Trust me, that clip was on the New Year's Eve show, 'cuz I have it on tape. It might have been from that song "Higher Love" that Steve did with Chaka Khan. Al may have used it elsewhere, but, in this montage from the New Year's show, he made fun of a bunch of videos. It was pretty funny! Any of those songs I mentioned by Traffic ring a bell with you? Or I am just really old and know too much about classic rock? hehe!

Patti

So awesome!

Al Team #325
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

algonacchick @ Jan 27 2004, 11:28 AM wrote: The Dells? That's a new one. I've heard of the Delphonics, but not the Dells.
Duuude, yer gettin' the Dells!
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.