"Re-Recorded Song From First Album For A Movie" Speculation!

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

What song is Al and the band re-recording for a movie?

"Ricky"
7%
"Gotta Boogie"
No votes
"I Love Rocky Road"
No votes
"Buckingham Blues"
No votes
"Happy Birthday"
50%
"Stop Draggin' My Car Around"
No votes
"My Bologna"
21%
"The Check's In The Mail"
No votes
"Another One Rides The Bus"
7%
"I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead"
7%
"Such A Groovy Guy"
7%
"Mr. Frump In The Iron Lung"
No votes

Total votes: 28

chickadee
Regular

Re: "Re-Recorded Song From First Album For A Movie" Speculat

Post by chickadee »

NH Weird Al Fan wrote:On Monday (?) Steve Jay uploaded a photo to his Instagram account, which said that the movie was "How To Be A Latin Lover" starring Rob Lowe and Racquel Welch.
That made me think the song might be "Ricky" especially after I saw Bermuda and the rest of the band in their white suits.
I realize "Ricky" can't be right with the boys singing along and without Tress MacNeille, and "Happy Birthday" makes a lot more sense with the garden party photos, but I can't help thinking of Ricky Ricardo and an old-fashioned big band when I see the guys in their white suits and black bowties.
I also like imagining how freaking AWESOME it would be to have Weird Al and the band playing at a wedding. :P
Steve Jay movie shoot with statue.jpg
Bermuda white suit.jpg
Desi Arnaz white suit.jpg
Oh, I guess that settles it....Hey Lucy.
Why not have Tress MacNeille? I'm sure she'd love to do it.
The tracks are probably recorded separately so she didn't have to be at that session.

I think that this is so cool!!! :accordion:

I tried to change my vote, but it won't let me.
Is it locked or is there something I don't know?
Last edited by chickadee on Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

Click here to read a brief summary and preliminary cast info for the movie, "How To Be A Latin Lover."
...the story about an an aging Latin lover who gets dumped by his sugar mama and is forced to to return to live with his estranged sister and her preteen son in their humble home. Sporting a wardrobe consisting mostly of Versace speedos, the man focuses on finding himself another sugar mama to support his expensive tastes.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

It's a nice theory, and I get the Latin tie-in, but somehow I just don't think this is "Ricky". My guess is it's a slowed-down, garden-party-tempo version of "Happy Birthday".

Also, are we 100% sure the photo of Al and the Band in the studio was of them recording a song for this same Latin Lover movie? Al has had his hand in many projects lately. . .these could be for two separate movie projects. If it is, I like the idea of Al re-doing either "My Bologna" or "Another One Rides the Bus" for the Dr. D. doc.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

Oh, I guess that settles it....Hey Lucy.
mrmeadows wrote:It's a nice theory, and I get the Latin tie-in, but somehow I just don't think this is "Ricky". My guess is it's a slowed-down, garden-party-tempo version of "Happy Birthday".

Also, are we 100% sure the photo of Al and the Band in the studio was of them recording a song for this same Latin Lover movie? Al has had his hand in many projects lately. . .these could be for two separate movie projects. If it is, I like the idea of Al re-doing either "My Bologna" or "Another One Rides the Bus" for the Dr. D. doc.
I only said that the Latin Lover part made me think of "Ricky" at first, but I agree that it doesn't make sense.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of the possibility that Al is involved in TWO upcoming film projects: one that features a new recording of an old song, and the other in which he and the band appear on film. That would be amazing if it were true, but it just seems like a strange coincidence that he is working on them both in the same week. Although... he is going on tour and wouldn't be available until the Fall, so I guess it's possible. Time will tell!
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

The movie about Dr. Demento is a documentary so they'll be using archival footage. That eliminates My Bologna, etc.
So......
..........It's Ricky......
Works nicely with the Latin Lover plot and Al and the bands' white suits.
:accordion:
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

chickadee wrote:The movie about Dr. Demento is a documentary so they'll be using archival footage.
They could theoretically have a new recording thrown in there, as well. Like over the credits or something.
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Okay it's not Ricky just because the word "Latin" is in the title of the movie...

I think, given the setting and attire, that it's likely to be Happy Birthday. My theory is that it's a running gag that one of the characters is a Weird Al fan, so the big cheesy romantic gesture at the end is that their partner arranges to have Weird Al perform at their birthday party. Could be way off, but that strikes me as the most likely thing.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Well, Al just stopped by CBB Post and played me the new re-recorded song!!!!

:whoot: :D :think: :zipper:

I can't say which song it is, except to say IT TOTALLY FREAKING ROCKS!!!!!

Al explained that, depending on how the scene gets edited, it might just be in the background of a larger scene that takes place at the party. I really hope the studio version gets released to the public because it sounds amazing!

I don't know about anyone else, but I could really go for a full re-recording of the debut album...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

TMBJon wrote:Well, Al just stopped by CBB Post and played me the new re-recorded song!!!!

I can't say which song it is, except to say IT TOTALLY FREAKING ROCKS!!!!!

Al explained that, depending on how the scene gets edited, it might just be in the background of a larger scene that takes place at the party. I really hope the studio version gets released to the public because it sounds amazing!

I don't know about anyone else, but I could really go for a full re-recording of the debut album...
:oo :oo :oo

Well, we'd better be able to hear it in the movie if YOU'VE heard it!! Whatever it is, the studio version needs to be released omg. Seriously, the first album rules so hard, so any re-recorded song from it would be frickin fantastic. But a re-recording of the full album would be even better... :ttr:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

We should crowdfund a rerecording for Al. I mean it would be relatively cheap since they all have home studios. I think only Als parts were recorded at an outside studio for the last album

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ