Prince's Death

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Prince's Death

Post by TMBJon »

Is anyone else struggling to feel sad about Prince's death?
I'm a little too young to have known him in the 80s, so the very first time I ever heard about Prince was in the context of how he refused to let Al parody his songs. Eventually I got to know Prince's catalog and found some of it to be quite good and the rest just okay. But I don't think there's ever been a time that I thought about Prince without also thinking he was a jerk to Al.

Just curious; we all process death differently, but I'm wondering if this phenomenon is shared by other Weird Al fans.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Prince's Death

Post by Big Spoon »

I honestly am not feeling a lot, either.
I never was a fan (I'm even sort of glad Al never got to parody Prince - could never get into his music). Normally when a singer/musician passes away I listen to their music a bit in the days that follow. And if I don't have any of their songs in my library, I buy an album or two. I haven't done this with Prince and honestly don't really feel like I'm going to.

Prince being a jerk to Al is probably influencing my feelings on the issue, too, but I think it's a bit more than that here.
And Peggy
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

EDIT: Double post
Last edited by Big Spoon on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And Peggy
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

I watched this funny video about what an odd person Prince was a while back.
I think it explains a lot about Prince's attitude towards Al.
https://youtu.be/8LhcParuzpc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Didn't know much about his music, but when I heard the news, I immediately thought of Al.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I'll be the first to admit I'm not as saddened by Princes' death as I was initially saddened by the likes of Bowie or Shandling. I can't say I'm his biggest fan either but I'm familiar enough with his work to recognize his talent and what a huge blow to music this is. Still, I have to say Al's tweet acknowledging his passing was very classy considering their rather frosty relationship.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

In 1989 I got money from my mom to buy my first Weird Al album. When I got to the store I was embarassed to ask for it so I grabbed a cassingle with the Batman logo on it. So instead of my first Al album, I bought my first Prince album. For years I didn't listen to him because of the whole Al deal, but I've recently begun to appreciate his work. The guy was one of the most talented musicians ever with tremendous output. I've made the comparison several times today, but Zappa and him are very much alike. They both wrote songs in numerous genres and both spent all their free time in the studio. I'm anxious to see what happens to Princes vault now that he's gone. I'm broken up that he's gone, but there's definitely a great loss in the world

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

To me this only raises the question, should (or will) Al record a parody of Prince now that he can no longer say no. There's been a lot of talk about Prince saying no, but was there ever any info on what the subjects of Al's potential Prince parodies were? I'd say so long as he didn't make the subject about Prince's character, a parody would be a welcomed tribute to a undeniable music legend.
taste is only something if it is yours.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Al will not record a parody now. He respects the artists wish and isn't going to use a loophole

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)

Post by Big Spoon »

Well, Well, Well wrote:There's been a lot of talk about Prince saying no, but was there ever any info on what the subjects of Al's potential Prince parodies were?
The only one I can think of at the moment is a parody of "When Doves Cry" called "When Spuds Fry." I'm guessing there were a few more, too.
And Peggy