Female performers influenced by Al

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

HalifaxKat
Regular

Female performers influenced by Al

Post by HalifaxKat »

This thread was inspired by something mentioned in the "What If Al Was A Girl?" thread. In that thread, yankochick38 stated that while there are a few female comedians who were inspired by Al, the list of comedians who are known to be inspired by Al is predominately male. That made me curious to find out which female performers (not just comedians, but anyone with a career in the arts) have mentioned Al being an influence or an inspiration to them!

Actually, as a side note, I'm interested in learning about anyone who has mentioned Al's influence on them, regardless of gender. Is there already a list compiled on WOWAY somewhere? If so, would love to see it...

Anyway, how many names can we count in the female department? Garfunkel and Oates have been mentioned. Who else??
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
IFoundMyYankochicks
Die-hard Fan

Re: Female performers influenced by Al

Post by IFoundMyYankochicks »

I remember watching the College Humor "comedy music hall of fame" video, and they have a short little clip where they ask comedians who influenced them, and I think all of them said Weird Al was one of them. There were quite a few females who mention him as an influence. They mention Al right before the interview with him.

Heres the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZsXvc66xlQ
They start mentioning him at 38:00
Concerts Attended: The Masonic (San Fransisco) 8/29/15

Al is our supreme lord
aLuMiNaTi
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

G&O is definitely the most obvious one. I've also heard Margaret Cho cite Al as an influence several times.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Two female performers from the College Humor special that jump to my mind are Rachel Bloom and Bridget Everett.

In a Time magazine interview, Maya Rudolph mentioned growing up and wanting to be funny in a way that could also involve music "sort of like a female Weird AL Yankovic". I don't know if it counts since the interviewer was the one making that comparison.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Killingsworth wrote:I don't know if it counts since the interviewer was the one making that comparison.
Yeah, I think if an interviewer basically leads them into it, I'm not really counting it, or at least not giving it as much weight compared to someone who would bring Al up automatically on their own when asked who their influences or inspirations were. In the College Humor special (thanks for the link, IFoundMyYankochicks!), it definitely seemed like Bridget Everett brought him up without prompting.

Anyway, these are all awesome. Yay. Keep 'em coming!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

Mayim Bialik wrote a great piece about Weird Al's influence on her: http://groknation.com/hollywood/loving- ... apologies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Oh yeah, I love that Mayim Bialik article! So heartfelt!!
― Albert Einstein
Song Dust
Occasional

Post by Song Dust »

remmy wrote:Mayim Bialik wrote a great piece about Weird Al's influence on her: http://groknation.com/hollywood/loving- ... apologies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I LOVE this article. So much so I took a quote for a signature. Never knew she was such a huge fan! Makes me love her more! <3
4/10/15 ~ First concert and meeting Al! <3