Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I'll never forget the part in the Weird Al Live video where a little kid is shown singing the "he gets to keep the tip" line, depsite being far too young to get the reference.

I think this is a parallel situation. If you get it, you get it. If not, the song is still funny. Don't feel too bad, Patti. Ludo is right -there are jokes in the lyrics of Al's songs that we still don't get. I just figured this one out recently. It definitely speaks to the caliber of his writing.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

TMBJon @ January 13, 2009 06:40 am wrote: -there are jokes in the lyrics of Al's songs that we still don't get. I just figured this one out recently. It definitely speaks to the caliber of his writing.
Totally...

There are hundreds of lines in Al's lyrics that I just know are holding back from me still. Watching his favourite film Top Secret the other day was a total revelation into the guys mind.. It looks like slapstick, but there is SO much going on, often half out of shot or in the background and this is the kind of thing he likes... a sort of treasure hunt full of odd little things that arent funny by themselves but are... in the context of other things happening at the same time. I'm explaining this horribly badly I know... sigh...
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Re: Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White

Post by mellow weasel »

I like this song because it's very relatable (except the recurring dream part and waking up screaming, those never happen to me :lol: ). Most of the people I know dream these mundane things like stuff that actually happens in everyday life and they think my dreams are crazy weird. I don't know, maybe I have boring friends, on the other hand I also scanned through this topic and I haven't seen anybody saying they can relate... Most were saying it's random, which is exactly what is so relatable to me (e.g. it's normal to me that pets turn into people and vice versa, or that I'm in one place one moment and in a completely unrelated place the other). The themes like going out underdressed, getting lost, being late for school test despite graduating 8 years ago, etc. is what I'd call recurring motives (but that goes for all people, doesn't it?), but the crazier stuff also would pass as an ordinary dream for me. And I like to think that Al based at least some of it on his own experience and that our brains work alike :lol:

I feel like I posted about it somewhere... If so, I'm sorry I'm repeating myself.

Also I like that this song rocks.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

This is a very fun, random song. That was an interesting conversation about the possible innuendo with the 'vowel' line. I don't know where I stand with that. I'll have to listen to the song more closely. That being said, however, this is not one of my favorites, though I do enjoy it. I give it a 3 out of 5.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

We talking about "Pretty Fly For A Rabbi" here?
GET OUT.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

I wore out this tape in the 80s - heard this song so many times. I've been listening through the HD remasters with audiophile headphones. Somehow, I never realized there is like computerized voice saying the chorus - maybe a vocoder. Also, I forgot about the "brbrbrbrbbrbrbrbbb" vocal thing after the guitar solo (which is a pretty sweet solo - not only two different guitar tones, but two different styles).
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Solo is absolutely amazing, so are all the riffs. I hope to god they do this one man!!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!