Why doesn't Al follow fans back on Twitter?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyBanks74
Occasional

Re: Why doesn't Al follow fans back on Twitter?

Post by TonyBanks74 »

I love his tweets!
He is also on Instagram, but I guess his Instagram account is linked to the Twitter one. I don't have Instagram, I went there just to check Al's profile, and it was basically the same stuff.
Extended warranty? How can I lose?
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

TonyBanks74 wrote:I love his tweets!
He is also on Instagram, but I guess his Instagram account is linked to the Twitter one. I don't have Instagram, I went there just to check Al's profile, and it was basically the same stuff.
There are some instagram-only pictures, but the majority is the same.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I only check Twitter to see Al's funny tweets.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yes, Al runs his own Twitter account and I know, from tweets of mine he's spoken to me about, that he does read tweets that mention him. If he followed back, his twitter feed would be an entirely unreadable swamp of whatever stuff 3.8 million people tweet. He follows personal friends and industry people, and that's his prerogative. He's much more engaged with Twitter than any celebrities I know of (other than William Shatner and Alton Brown :D)
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I rarely see celebs follow their people back. Al is not that engaged on Twitter IMO. He DOES read his mentions because he favorite tweets all of the time. But engaging would also mean at least the occasional exchange with followers/answering questions at times and Al does not do that. That being said, famous people with a few million followers are probably best served not engaging *too* much because you just need that one fan who thinks it's their right to be followed back/responded to on Twitter to create a mess.
Is my dude a dweeb?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Do you really expect Al to go through and follow millions of fans back? The whole point of following people is that you only get those peoples updates in your news feed. Instead of getting millions of posts of random people saying what they ate for lunch, he can go through and see what his friends are up to. It is very logical to only follow people you know or are interested in hearing from.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

If he followed one fan, he'd have to follow all of them. Because people are whiners.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

Wizzerkat wrote:I rarely see celebs follow their people back.
How often do you use twitter? Exactly 80 percent of pop artists follow their fans back. Britney Spears even follows me and she gets spammed daily in her mentions for people to follow her and she follows back. Ariana Grande follows 80,000 of her fans back.

They have twitter lists. Most of the ones that follow back have lists of only 10 people to check on and they never read their time line.
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

offbeatbryce wrote:Britney Spears ... gets spammed daily in her mentions for people to follow her
That's probably exactly what Al would prefer to avoid.
offbeatbryce wrote:They have twitter lists. Most of the ones that follow back have lists of only 10 people to check on and they never read their time line.
So, what's the point then?

I guess I just don't understand the allure of having a celebrity follow you back on Twitter if there's no real end gain (aside from bragging rights). I'd much rather it be the way Al does it -- he checks his mentions and occasionally favorites tweets. He often recognizes fans in person if they tweet to him before concerts. To me that's far more meaningful.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

offbeatbryce wrote:Exactly 80 percent of pop artists follow their fans back.
I would love to know where that exact statistic came from.
offbeatbryce wrote:Britney Spears even follows me and she gets spammed daily in her mentions for people to follow her and she follows back. Ariana Grande follows 80,000 of her fans back.
Yeah and guess what? Neither of them actually uses Twitter or reads tweets by people that they follow!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.