That Boy Could Dance

Moderator: Moderators

HiggyG
Occasional

Re: That Boy Could Dance

Post by HiggyG »

Skippy wrote:So I was going through this topic for my timeline project to see if anyone felt like this was a style parody, since it's not one that's mentioned very often. I also don't really care for this song (and am still downright flabbergasted that it was the b-side on the "Eat It" 45) but I think I agree with Mr. Rooney (who seems to be long gone from this site) that this is a style parody of Bat Out Of Hell era Meat Loaf (whereas "Stop Forwarding" is more Bat Out Of Hell II era.) It's not as thorough as Al's style parodies typically are now, but there are definite similarities. So, for now, that's what it's going in the timeline as.
I agree. I've always thought this one sounds like it was inspired by "All Revved Up With No Place To Go"
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Very interesting replies. I never would have thought Meatloaf. Although, like another posters wrote, I am not very familiar with Meatloaf, so I never would've noticed the similarities.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

All songs have to be influenced by something. Still doesn't sound that much like Meat Loaf to me, sounds like Weird Al with just a hint of Meat Loaf inspirato. The guitar work in this song is about as good as anything in Bat Out Of Hell I or II. Lyrically I don't see it even sounding like Meat Loaf at all, as with most of the "style parodies". Basically it is just great original material which may have had some heavy influence or inspiration in the beginning. Everything in the world of rock and metal is based on or inspired by something awesome which came before it. In the end, still becomes its own song completely, like you see with this classic. God the solo is great!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Muldernscully wrote:Very interesting replies. I never would have thought Meatloaf. Although, like another posters wrote, I am not very familiar with Meatloaf, so I never would've noticed the similarities.
Just gonna add my 2 out of 5 star rating here. ;)
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

I remember this was the flip side to Eat It. When I was in 2nd grade I was a big hit bringing the single to school so the teacher could play it before class dismissed. She asked me if I ever heard the flip side (I.E. That Boy Could Dance) I said 'no'. So she put it on and about 45 seconds into it pulled it off the record player. :?

I never thought it was too bad a song. I certainly prefer it to Buy Me A Condo & Mr Popeil.
Back off me,man-back off.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

:lame: stupid teacher :boot:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
yank
Occasional

Post by yank »

I love this song for the piano intro that wakes you up in the beginning of it. And for the fact that whenever it plays, I can picture that boy with his long sleeve blue plaid shirt, his thick black-rimmed glasses and his pocket protector tearing up the dance floor. Yes, he has his pants on.
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm