Christmas At Ground Zero

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I think that's basically it. The song is louder and more clearer, but that's it.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I really thought this was addressed in an old Ask Al, but I couldn't find it. I think his answer was something along the lines that in the alternate mix, the sleigh bells play through out the whole song instead of the air raid siren. Or something else really subtle like that. You practically have to listen to the two versions simultaneously to hear the difference.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
27-77
Die-hard Fan

Post by 27-77 »

I'll have to try that.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

That's kind of strange...if it's that subtle, they should've just put something like "Jurashiku Park" as the B-side.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weird user
Addicted

Re: Christmas At Ground Zero

Post by weird user »

One thing I wonder is why this song had to be the second music video for Polka Party. According to Weird Al: The Book, Scotti Bros. refused to give Al a budget for a music video on this song, I assume because of its content (as opposed to poor sales of the album), so that's why Al directed the video himself. But would Scotti Bros. have allowed a different song to be the second music video?

And now I wonder if this song being banned from radio stations helped contribute to the albums poor sales. Was the music video broadcast often?
FreedomHaul
Occasional

Post by FreedomHaul »

This song presents such an interesting window into the Cold War. As someone who grew up towards the end of the Cold War, it helps me understand the anxiety that the ever-present fear of nuclear annihilation caused, and the ironic way people seemed to develop to deal with it.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Al's dark humor is great in this song. It reminds me a lot of Happy Birthday. I love the juxtaposition. Perfect to surprise unsuspecting Christmas guests with your twisted sense of humor. 4 out of 5 stars.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

I think 9/11 in the news ruined the whole meaning of the song... why would newspapers use a term that is already being used?
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Because it was ground zero for that particular event. I don't think they ever meant for it to be still so assosciated with 9/11 14 years later, but I doubt anyone thought twice about the usage at the time

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Believe me, if the events of this song happened in real life they would call that Ground Zero too.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.