Mandatory Fun Tour Anticipation Thread

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

When do you think the tour will start?

Late 2014
No votes
January
2%
February
4%
March
8%
April
19%
May
56%
June
6%
July or later :'(
4%

Total votes: 48

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Mandatory Fun Tour Anticipation Thread

Post by anthontherun »

I think the first verse would probably stand up better on its own, but the second half of the song is obviously the funnier part, so it'd be a shame to miss out on that. I feel like it needs the food prologue to work though.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

There's no way Foil is in the medley, unless both verses are included. The three full lengths must be Foil, Tacky, and Word Crimes, with Handy and Inactive in the medley. If it has to be 3 and 2, this is probably the best option.
As for originals, we can eliminate Jackson Park Express, Mission Statement, and Sports Song. That leaves Lame Claim to Fame, My Own Eyes, and First World Problems. Based on Al's wording, maybe two of those are played every night and one of them cycles out with some other song? I hope MOE and FWP are the two!!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

You know Foil is short, and when he does Beverly Hillbillies and when he did Another Tattoo, it was verturally the whole song in the melody. It could be like that.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

It is completely possible that Foil could be done as a whole in the medley, although I still believe that it will be done in full and Handy put in the medley. Anyway, if Foil IS in the medley, then I would think that they would use verse 2 (whether it is JUST verse two or both verses, I don't know), and at "There's a big conspiracy" , they launch into PITCIA.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

The way I see it, the only thing that could keep Handy out of the medley is whether or not Al decides he has to wear a costume for that song. Other than that, I could see it going into the medley due to its minimal production value and the fact that performing a small portion of it vs the full length song would be much easier on Al's voice. Otherwise, I think at this point he would be more likely to perform the song in full wearing a costume similar to the one from the video (possibly with Steve and Ruben in overalls doing some cheesy backup dances and Jim possibly subbing for Ruben on keyboards).

Foil doesn't necessitate any big costume so it could go either way right now. If he does do it in the medley, I'd like to see him arrange it in the way that MuppetBoy describes above (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this either). Still, the only way I can see this being a full length song is if Al decides to include it as one of the songs in the early non-costumed portion of the show.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Al thinks a full costume for Word Crimes is really necessary? I keep picturing him performing this song with his hair in a ponytail and wearing that B&W striped Beetlejuice VMA suit (as tired and dated as that might look in mid-to-late 2015) but then again I could also see him just doing it without a costume as one of the opening songs. Still, if he does a costume for Word Crimes I'm sure it would double nicely for a WBUL suit as I can picture him going from Word Crimes straight into WBUL (or straight from Foil into Word Crimes early in the show due to the formers short length for that matter).

I also think he will perform LCTF in the costume from the video and that he could alternate FWP with Mission Statement. Jim, Steve and Bermuda could tackle the harmony vocals (at least that's how I interpreted Bermudas' "difficult but not impossible" comment).
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Killingsworth wrote:(possibly with Steve and Ruben in overalls doing some cheesy backup dances and Jim possibly subbing for Ruben on keyboards).
Alright, just for that I want to see Handy done in full. Heck, maybe they could pull a "Taco Grande" and have two of them dance during the medley!
Killingsworth wrote:He could alternate FWP with Mission Statement. Jim, Steve and Bermuda could tackle the harmony vocals (at least that's how I interpreted Bermudas' "difficult but not impossible" comment).
I believe that the two "solid in the set" originals will be Lame Claim to Fame and My Own Eyes, as Al has performed both of those live already, and then, I mean, as much as I would LOOOVVEE to see Mission Statement live, I just doubt it is going to happen. Also, for such a complex song, it would be a shame to see it only done a portion of the nights.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I won't be surprised if they show the Sports Song video during one of the costume changes.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Yankomaniac wrote:I won't be surprised if they show the Sports Song video during one of the costume changes.
I was thinking about whether this would be short enough to show in full length (ala Weasel Stomping Day on the SOL tour) but then I remembered how they showed that Titanic sketch Al did for CollegeHumor on the last tour in full length, so...hey, why not?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I was thinking that too, and, IF I remember correctly, Weasel Stomping Day wasn't even the only thing they played during that break.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

RunningWithScissors wrote:I was thinking that too, and, IF I remember correctly, Weasel Stomping Day wasn't even the only thing they played during that break.
Correct, there was much more, and IIRC, Weasel Stomping Day was the last clip of the segment leading into SLN