The Compleat Al DVD Release

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Re: The Compleat Al DVD Release

Post by algonacchick »

So glad you are pleased with it, Jon. I might have to get a copy. :)
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I received my copy yesterday too. I was really excited to see it again. It had been such a long time since I had watched it. I still really enjoyed it.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Got mine today, and watched it this afternoon. I liked that they preserved the original CBS/Fox Video opening logo...very retro. Considering how old this was, and like Jon said probably archived on a 3/4" tape, the picture quality was pretty decent. The movie was about as I remembered it: not exactly Citizen Kane, but a fun and entertaining mockumentary on Al's rise to fame. Great seeing the old music videos again, and forgot that it contained one of my all-time favorite Al-TV bits, Harvey Leeds singing "State of Shock".

Have to say, though, I noticed some things watching it now that I don't think I noticed back in my teenage years when I first watched this. For example, in the Michael Jackson scene during the initial dolly-in to MJ, there's a fire extinguisher off to the right side. I guess this is a reference to the Pepsi commercial hair-on-fire mishap. Nice touch.

Also, I had forgotten about some of the "edgy" jokes in this, and even a couple in the music videos. There's the scene with the edible underwear with the woman wearing the panties that have "Weird Al says 'Eat It'" on the front. Yikes! Then in the "I Lost on Jeopardy" video, one of the clues is "This German baroness could suck the chrome off a fender." I guess I remember that from before, but had totally forgotten about it. And then something I can't believe I never really noticed before in the "One More Minute" video...while he's singing the already-blue "self-service pump" line, the background singers are basically making an, um..."jerking" motion with their hands right at crotch level. (It's supposed to be them snapping to the music, but the angle of the shot is set up to look like they are motioning suggestively, and it's clearly intentional.) I guess I used to just be so focused on Al singing in the foreground and never even picked up on that. Funny stuff.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Got my copy and watched it for about the first time in over 20 years last night. Mostly still funny and as I remember, a few spots dragged on too long, some of the Barry Cohen office scenes and the "State Of Shock" video and the brainstorming session behind the DTBS video, but overall still good. Also I was going to comment on the more edgy jokes myself, unlike Al, but he was still finding his audience at the time so I don't blame him. One thing I couldn't figure out and my Google-Foo skills failed me, was that really Eddie Van Halen at the audition? Sure looked like him,. if not that's one hell of an impersonator.

Also, this reminded me so much how I want an official Al-TV release. Even if he can't release the music videos for legal reasons it would be cool to see all the Al segments. Though he probably can sell some diamonds from his swimming pool to acquire the rights to whatever MTV owns or rights to videos and stuff, but if he's hurting for money, if he did some kickstarter thing or something like that to raise funds for a full blown Al-TV release, I'm sure it would raise money in no time and I would support.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

You don't like the "State of Shock" video?! That may be my favorite bit in the whole movie! (Even though it's technically from Al-TV.) :-)
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I got the DVD for Christmas today.

One thing I'm surprised about (though it's not a complaint) is that the main menu starts right away. There's no pre-menu trailers or a small booklet advertising other Shout titles. I'm especially surprised that the DVD doesn't even advertise UHF for The Weird Al Show.

I was surprised to see the CBS Fox opening.

Noticed inside the case that Jon "Bermuda" Swartz gets a "special thanks" for production on the DVD. I wonder what he did to get a special thanks credit, especially since there's no bonus features (did he supply the source video?).
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I got this for Christmas today. Can't wait to watch it.
And Peggy
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Finally watched my copy the other day. Wow! This was fantastic! I loved the "State Of Shock" video! :lol:

Yeah, this did drag a little in some places, but it was still a lot of fun!
And Peggy
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Only just got around to ordering this on Sunday. Looking forward to adding it to the ol' collection.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I received it a couple of months ago, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. *hangs head in shame*