Fat

Moderator: Moderators

NMRodo
Occasional

Re: Fat

Post by NMRodo »

Pardon my bump, but I have to comment.
Fat is one of my favorite Al songs AND videos. My only problem is that I had to listen to and watch the video for Fat and Bad several times to catch all the jokes. Oh well, still one of my favorite Yankovic works.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

One thing I wonder about this song is why it's often "first" in certain compilations. It's the first track in Al's first Greatest Hits album, as opposed to Eat It, the song that's perhaps best associated with Al. Though I can understand Fat being the first track on that album, since it came out the same year and Al probably wanted to have his most recent lead single start his first Greatest Hits album. But then Fat also opened The Food Album.I feel that one should have started with Eat It, or maybe a different food song (like My Bologna or I Love Rocky Road), especially since Fat technically isn't really about food.

And then there's the fact that The Ultimate Video Collection starts with Fat. So the order is random on that one, but starts with a number of his biggest hits, many of the first few on there being hits from the 1990s (so Fat, the first song on there, is from 1988). So I don't think we know why or how the order for that collection was chosen, but I am a little surprised that that release didn't begin with Amish Paradise or The Saga Begins (I don't think Bob, his most recent music video at the time, would have really been a good choice to start it... But then again, order shouldn't really matter, as I tend to watch the videos I feel like watching individually as opposed to hitting "play all").
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

"Eat It" was definitely the track that made Al a household name, but "Fat" is more well known. "Fat" gets a bigger reaction than "Eat It" at the live concerts.
Also, when talking to people, I almost always get something like "Oh, I loved 'Fat' (or 'I'm Fat')" . If I say "the guy who did 'Fat'" they almost always know who I'm talking about. If I say "The 'Eat It" Guy" or "the guy who did that Nirvana song" I get more blank stares.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

weird user wrote:And then there's the fact that The Ultimate Video Collection starts with Fat. So the order is random on that one, but starts with a number of his biggest hits, many of the first few on there being hits from the 1990s (so Fat, the first song on there, is from 1988). So I don't think we know why or how the order for that collection was chosen, but I am a little surprised that that release didn't begin with Amish Paradise or The Saga Begins (I don't think Bob, his most recent music video at the time, would have really been a good choice to start it... But then again, order shouldn't really matter, as I tend to watch the videos I feel like watching individually as opposed to hitting "play all").
I believe "Fat" is one of his best-known videos, if not the best-known. Based on my experience, "Fat" seems to be the one video everyone knows and likes.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Elvis wrote:"Eat It" was definitely the track that made Al a household name, but "Fat" is more well known. "Fat" gets a bigger reaction than "Eat It" at the live concerts.
Also, when talking to people, I almost always get something like "Oh, I loved 'Fat' (or 'I'm Fat')" . If I say "the guy who did 'Fat'" they almost always know who I'm talking about. If I say "The 'Eat It" Guy" or "the guy who did that Nirvana song" I get more blank stares.
Really? When I hear people talking about Weird Al (people whose level of fandom is unknown to me) I never hear them mention Fat. The fat suit might be impressive, but I'd rather see Al do a full performance of Eat It.
Genius in Maine wrote:
Based on my experience, "Fat" seems to be the one video everyone knows and likes.
While I don't really dislike any of Al's music videos, it's not one of my favorites (definately not in the top ten). The fat suit is impressive, but I don't think the visuals are funny enough. Not like in Eat It or Like a Surgeon or Headline News or about a dozen others.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I think the big cheer for Fat is specifically due to the suit. If it was in the medley I doubt the reaction would be as big
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I think a hipster backlash against Eat It is partly to blame for Fat's supposed popularity over it. A "It's popular so it sucks" kind of thing.

Personally I think Fat''s a better song and video, but there's no denying Eat It's place in history.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Teh Dingo wrote:I think a hipster backlash against Eat It is partly to blame for Fat's supposed popularity over it.
I've been leading the hipster backlash against Fat for the exact same reason. Eat It is way better!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

TMBJon wrote:
Teh Dingo wrote:I think a hipster backlash against Eat It is partly to blame for Fat's supposed popularity over it.
I've been leading the hipster backlash against Fat for the exact same reason. Eat It is way better!
I think it might be the same way for me, a hipster backlash for Fat, Amish Paradise, and maybe also Bedrock Anthem.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote:a hipster backlash for ... Amish Paradise
"I ain't wit' that." - Coolio
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.