Tacky

Moderator: Moderators

drewdy9999
Regular

Tacky

Post by drewdy9999 »

This is the last of the parodies that doesn't have it's own thread yet, aside from the one debating if this is Fancy or Happy. I'm really confident this is a parody of Happy, simply because 'tacky' seems to fit phonetically better with 'happy' than 'fancy'. 'Tacky' and 'happy' both have the 'ah' sound, whereas 'handy' and 'fancy' both have the 'anne' sound. Plus others have mentioned that it makes more sense for the Fancy parody to be first in the track listing.

Anyway, moving past all of that, I'm curious as to what kind of vibe this song will go for. I could see it being a general song discussing tacky clothing combinations, with lyrics going something like 'You shouldn't wear suspenders with a bowtie / Because it's tacky..." (the placement of that would be the last line in the first verse and the first line in the chorus). But I could also see it attacking something specific like hipster clothing, or possibly even discussing the clothing of a specific person, and saying "because you're tacky" or "because I'm tacky".

OR, a song discussing the physical properties of thumbtacks.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Tacky

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Assuming that it's a parody of "Happy," which is of course the safe bet, I'm thinking that it will be similar to "Fat" in that Al's character will be celebrating the fact that he's tacky. It certainly could be "You're tacky," but the upbeat and...well, happy...mood of the song would seem to lend itself better to "I'm tacky!"
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Also agree that "I'm tacky," is much more likely than "You're tacky."

Can't say I'm not surprised Al's parodying Happy. I said this in the speculation threads, but the original is so damn repetitive....
And Peggy
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Maybe that's why it only gets a spot on track 11 (assuming that's accurate).
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Big Spoon wrote: Can't say I'm not surprised Al's parodying Happy. I said this in the speculation threads, but the original is so damn repetitive....
Yes, but the difference is Al can (and probably will) change up the lines of the chorus to give it more variety. I doubt Al will repeat the exact same chorus every smurfing time like in the real song.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

So there was a brief discussion about how Al would tackle singing Iggy and Lorde's parts for their parodies, but since they have deeper voices and one is a rap anyway, it wouldn't be a problem.

The one I question is "Happy". Pharrell sings much of the song in falsetto. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think there are a whole lot of songs in which Al sings in falsetto (parts of Pancreas, SDLC, Melanie and WBYL - but anything else?). How will he handle this? Do you think Al will replicate this and also sing in falsetto, or will he go with his normal singing voice for most of it?
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I think he'll do it in falsetto. His falsetto at the end of WBUL is ridiculous, so we know he can handle it.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

The lyrics might take a friendly dig at Pharrell's giant hat. And maybe Al's own Hawaiian shirts for good measure.
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Bruce the Duck wrote:So there was a brief discussion about how Al would tackle singing Iggy and Lorde's parts for their parodies, but since they have deeper voices and one is a rap anyway, it wouldn't be a problem.

The one I question is "Happy". Pharrell sings much of the song in falsetto. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think there are a whole lot of songs in which Al sings in falsetto (parts of Pancreas, SDLC, Melanie and WBYL - but anything else?). How will he handle this? Do you think Al will replicate this and also sing in falsetto, or will he go with his normal singing voice for most of it?
There's some falsetto in Virus Alert and TitDT
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

jacobpacek wrote: The one I question is "Happy". Pharrell sings much of the song in falsetto. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think there are a whole lot of songs in which Al sings in falsetto (parts of Pancreas, SDLC, Melanie and WBYL - but anything else?). How will he handle this? Do you think Al will replicate this and also sing in falsetto, or will he go with his normal singing voice for most of it?
Same with "Blurred Lines". Not throughout, like "Happy", but Thicke throws around some falsetto here and there.