Best Way To Buy

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Best Way To Buy

Post by TMBJon »

Hey Jon,
So excited for this new album!!
Just curious before all the pre-sales and such start popping up, what is the best way to buy the album so that you guys and Al get the highest percentage of the profits?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Re: Best Way To Buy

Post by Skippy »

Not Bermuda, but here is my non-expert understanding: the most important thing is that you buy it somehow. For the most part, there is little difference between physical albums and iTunes (or Amazon probably) in terms of what the artist gets per album. (Obviously, all contracts are different.) I used to hear that buying from a store was the best, but that was a while ago & may have changed.

A thought I had was that since artists make a little bit (very, very little) off streaming sites like Spotify, we could actually get more money to Al & the guys by buying the album but listening to it by streaming when possible. It probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but if everyone did it...
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I think that CDs and downloads net about the same for most artists, but true, streaming yields very, VERY little to the artist/writer.

If someone buys the songs, it's certainly not necessary to also stream them, but thanks for the idea Skippy! Much simpler to listen on the device they live, rather than tax data with streaming. You'll also enjoy glitch-free playback (and you know what they say... playback's a glitch!)

Bermuda
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

bermuda wrote:playback's a glitch!
Well, today was a success.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Jim had a thing about this on Facebook not too long ago that'd help answer it as well.

Me personally, I'm likely just ordering off of Amazon. I usually go to Best Buy or FYE but they very rarely have Al's albums. Last I went, Best Buy had 3 copies of Alpocalypse and 1 copy of The TV Album.
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

HappyGilmore wrote:Last I went, Best Buy had 3 copies of Alpocalypse and 1 copy of The TV Album.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

If you want to get the CD on the 15th and don't have a real CD/music store near you, there are a few possible options. Best Buy, Target, Barnes & Noble or WalMart carry new releases, and they might have them on the shelves that day.

I do miss the old days, where there were several 'record' stores around, and they always had the Tuesday releases in the racks Tuesday morning when they opened.

For those in In L.A. and the Bay Area, I think the best bet would be Amoeba.

Bermuda
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

CharlesNelson wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:Last I went, Best Buy had 3 copies of Alpocalypse and 1 copy of The TV Album.
Worse yet, my local K-Mart carries...Kenny Rogers and that's about it. The last album by Al I saw there was The Food Album.

There's an abandoned mall my way with a fully stocked FYE but I'm not trying to get shot en route. :F
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

HappyGilmore wrote:There's an abandoned mall my way with a fully stocked FYE but I'm not trying to get shot en route. :F
UNTRUE FAN ALERT
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

<_<