Midnight Star

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Midnight Star

Post by TMBJon »

How sad that Al was tired of being known for his parodies BEFORE Eat It even came out!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well considering that much of his output was originals before the first album, he probably did want them to stand on their own. Then when a big ass check came after Eat It he probably came around to his current way of thinking of the parodies being what sells the album.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Of course after In-3D he seemed to start having originals that were as big hits as the parodies. Three of the four music videos from his next album (including This is the Life which was recorded earlier) were original songs.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote:Of course after In-3D he seemed to start having originals that were as big hits as the parodies. Three of the four music videos from his next album (including This is the Life which was recorded earlier) were original songs.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. This Is The Life had a music video only because The Compleat Al had a budget to create a bunch of original videos. It was hardly as big of a hit as Like A Surgeon!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I thought the video for "This Is The Life" was made more to promote "Johnny Dangerously" than to promote "The Compleat Al". After all, it was released as a single in November '84 a full eight months before DTBS was released.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Not sure which is more accurate, but either way the point still stands that the video for This Is The Life came out of a different budget, either Showtime or 20th Century Fox's, and not Scotti Bros.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Interesting, I never really thought about this. Coincidentally, I am listening to Dare To Be Stupid on cassette and this track just came on! Still, they should pull it out live..just like she said they should! :Y
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Looks like I was wrong... I thought Midnight Star wasn't even a b-side single, but then I found at the All Things Yankovic site that it was the b-side to the One More Minute single (I'd been so focused on seeing what b-sides were on the In-3D singles that it didn't occur to me that it might have been on a later single).
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

Love Midnight Star!!!! Definitely could see it in the medley for 2015, wish it was brought back entirely though
conk or bepis
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Definitely WON'T see it in the medley for 2015 (unless he decides to start putting originals in the medley, which actually would be awesome)!
twitter.com/allenpwilliams