Party at the Leper Colony

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Party at the Leper Colony

Post by Yankomaniac »

I really wish they would have done Dog Eat Dog or something from Polka Party in the medley for the DVD..Then it would have eeeverything covered!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

So, I've been listening to this one recently and it's definitely grown on me. I know we generally just consider this a Bo Diddley style parody because of the beat, but that beat is so ubiquitous in rock music and there's really nothing else about the song that feels Diddley-esque to me. Then recently I saw it described as "Bo Diddley with a Springsteen flair" and it hit me: this is a Springsteen style parody, period. The Boss uses the Diddley beat a couple of times, but most notably in "She's the One" from the Born to Run album. The drums aren't as prominent as in PATLC, but this song also includes a long sax solo (a Springsteen staple anyway) and a similar piano line to Leper Colony.

The vocals are more reminiscent of "On the Dark Side," which is John Cafferty not Springsteen (but sounds remarkably like Bruce) and it wouldn't surprise me if Al did that on purpose.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yeah, this is definitely at least inspired by She's The One. And supposedly, Al had asked the Big Man himself to play sax on the record but he was offended by the content and turned down the offer. The saxophone playing that is on the track, however, is very reminiscent of his solos.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

This I would love to hear since I missed them on the 2003 tour and since they won't be doing Genius this is probably my top pick from Poodle Hat for the upcoming tour. Guessing it will certainly get it's share of performances.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!