Whatever Al Likes

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Whatever Al Likes

Post by minnick27 »

MTV is still awesome. Ya know, if you've had a lobotomy
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I feel his TV themed songs really dried up in the 90s. I mean, we got "I Can't Watch This", but that was sssuuuupppper early 90s TV. And then "Syndicated Inc." But if the show didn't end in a long e, it wasn't mentioned. I can't believe there was nary a mention of "Seinfeld", or "The X-Files", or "Friends" (although I guess that Rembrandts parody he wanted to do would've probably counted for "Friends"... as well as "Home Improvement").
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yes, but they were all syndicated shows. Xfiles, friends and Home Improvement were still all first run. Granted they did have reruns as well, but they were mostly classic shows
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Way_Moby wrote:I feel his TV themed songs really dried up in the 90s. I mean, we got "I Can't Watch This", but that was sssuuuupppper early 90s TV. And then "Syndicated Inc." But if the show didn't end in a long e, it wasn't mentioned. I can't believe there was nary a mention of "Seinfeld", or "The X-Files", or "Friends" (although I guess that Rembrandts parody he wanted to do would've probably counted for "Friends"... as well as "Home Improvement").
"Couch Potato" was all about TV.

Cheers, Diva
temporarily delurking :mahalo:
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I think the increased time between albums has been a big factor in the reduction of TV-related songs. Those songs can date themselves pretty quickly (though a surprisingly high percentage of the references in "Couch Potato" are still relevant today), and with only 5 parody slots available in a 3-5-year-period, he can't afford to waste them on anything that might be a flash in the pan. Look at the subject matter of the parodies on Alpocalypse, and other than "Another Tattoo," they're all about trends that had been pretty notable for a number of years by 2011.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Tattoos arent a notable trend?
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I think he was just saying it's not really a "trend". That's been part of society for pretty much forever.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Exactly; the specific references might not work but the subject matter could have worked on any album at any point. He could've done "Another Tattoo" to "Found Out About You" by the Gin Blossoms on Alapalooza.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Gotcha
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

anthontherun wrote:He could've done "Another Tattoo" to "Found Out About You" by the Gin Blossoms on Alapalooza.
That would have made that album just that much better.