Whatever Al Likes

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Whatever Al Likes

Post by anthontherun »

The AV Club has an article where a few celebs list their 2012 pop culture favorites. Al is one of them:
What’s the best thing you listened to in 2012?
I’m a friend and fan of Ben Folds, and I was very excited when he told me he was getting back together with his BF5 bandmates to record a new album. The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind came out in September, and it’s every bit as good as I’d hoped.
What’s the best movie you saw in 2012?
I think I might have to say Argo. Ugh… Does this mean I need to apologize for all the snarky Ben Affleck jokes I made when Gigli came out? Sorry, Ben.
What’s the best TV show you watched in 2012?
Television seems to be going through another Golden Age, which makes it nearly impossible for me to pick a favorite from the bunch. The shows winning all the awards—Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Louie, Homeland, Modern Family, and 30 Rock—are all insanely good, as are gloriously wacked little shows like Childrens Hospital, Eagleheart, Key & Peele, and Comedy Bang! Bang!
I was gonna put this in Hangin' 27, but I don't think we've ever really had a topic on the music, movies, shows, books, etc. that Al Yankovic (and not necessarily "Weird Al" Yankovic) likes and recommends, and I though it could make for a pretty good discussion.

I wasn't exactly sold on the new BF5 album--I like the sound of the first two albums, and this one seemed a little more in line with Reinhold Messner, only with less clever lyrics. But at least it's better than Way to Normal.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Whatever Al Likes

Post by Killingsworth »

I'm just glad to see that Al and I are mutual fans of Key and Peele!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Anth, I agree that the new album is not "every bit as good as I'd hoped" but I do still really enjoy it and extremely excited to see Ben Folds Five reunited when they stop through LA in January.

I really agree with Al on the embarrassment of riches that is the current state of television, and it's cool that we watch a lot of the same shows!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Corey
Off The Deep End
Awards: 2015 Best Al Man (-18)

Post by Corey »

Al watches Breaking Bad. That's all I needed to know.
6/30/15
dreidenbrock
Occasional

Post by dreidenbrock »

Corey
Off The Deep End
Awards: 2015 Best Al Man (-18)

Post by Corey »

I've never seen that picture! Nice!
6/30/15
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

:whoot: I enjoyed reading some of Al's input on 2012. I am pleased to learn that he is a fan of K&P!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

anthontherun wrote:But at least it's better than Way to Normal.
That was the album that got me into Ben Folds. I really like that one. :P

This is really cool. I've always wondered what Al watches. More importantly, what did Al watch back in the day in the 80s and 90s?
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

Way_Moby wrote:
anthontherun wrote:But at least it's better than Way to Normal.
That was the album that got me into Ben Folds. I really like that one. :P

This is really cool. I've always wondered what Al watches. More importantly, what did Al watch back in the day in the 80s and 90s?
I feel you can find clues to that question in his music. He also watched MTV before he was on the channel. Come to think of it he was the channel in the 80's. I mean they gave him 4 hours on air to do whatever he wanted. So yeah, that's my best guess.
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

^back when MTV was awesome.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep