Polka Party!. . .reviews!

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Can't believe there isn't a topic for this yet! Guess I'll get things started. . .

LIVING WITH A HERNIA: Love it! This was the first song of Al's I heard when a friend of mine brought a tape of PP and DTBS to school back in the 80's (I must have been around 13 years old or so.) As soon as I heard it, I was hooked! Of course, for awhile, I thought that these were the only two Al tapes in existence, and listened to them over and over again. Eventually, I got wise and started buying all of his albums. I might have been quicker on the uptake if I had the Internet back then. . .oh well. I digress. LWAH still cracks me up! Not only are the lyrics a hoot, Al's James Brown impression is downright hilarious! Underrated video, too. 10/10

DOG EAT DOG: I didn't used to get much out of this song, but then that was before I worked in an office enviornment or was aware of Talking Heads. Now that I'm knowledgable of both, this song is a classic! One of my favorite concert songs, too. Office Space almost 15 years early! "This is not my beautiful stapler!" 10/10

ADDICTED TO SPUDS: Funny song, although one of those rare Al parodies that (to me) sounds nothing like the original, instrumentally. I think if it had more of the feel of the Robert Palmer song I would give this one a higher mark. 7/10

ONE OF THOSE DAYS: Hilarous song! I love how doom-and-gloom it is, and how it balances the horrific (nuclear annihilation) with the banal (running out of Cheetos). Also, the climax of the song sets the listener up nicely for CAGZ. 9/10

POLKA PARTY!: Ironically, my least favorite Al polka. Just doesn't seem to move like the others, and Al doesn't seem particularly into it. Most of the songs in the medley are kinda boring, too. This is the track I'm most inclined to skip when listening to this album. 5.5/10

HERE'S JOHNNY: At one time, this was my all-time favorite Al parody. Of course, that was back when I was 14 and Al only had 4 or 5 albums out. Plus, Johnny Carson was still on the Tonight Show. I guess his absence has kinda taken the juice out of this one, but I still think it's one of Al's most clever parodies. 8.5/10

DON'T WEAR THOSE SHOES: I'm not sure what this song is about, or what prompted Al to write it. . .but I dig it! It's a strange song, lyrically, but it's got a good beat and you can dance to it. You gotta give points for that. 7/10

TOOTHLESS PEOPLE: It was years before I realized this was a parody. I had never seen the movie Ruthless People , and I don't think the song got any airplay in my neck of the woods. It's amusing enough, I guess. Although I think Al could have picked a more popular song to parody I think. 6.5/10

GOOD ENOUGH FOR NOW: Not a lot of people like this one, but I think it's hilarious! I guess the heavy country sound probably turns people off, but I love how sincere it sounds until you actually listen to the words. I think the idea of an ambivalent love song (a "like" song?) is a brilliant concept. 9.5/10

CHRISTMAS AT GROUND ZERO: Al was asked to deliver a "novelty" Christmas song for this album. . .and boy did he ever! Although he tried it again by turning Santa into a mass murderer in TNSWC, I still don't think he quite topped this one. . .a holiday carol about nuclear holocaust on Christmas Day! Yup. That about covers it! And I'm not one of these guys who started disliking this song after 9/11, either. . .because it isn't ABOUT 9/11! I can't help that people started referring to the WTC site "Ground Zero", even if it is a slight misuse of the term. (Al is actually using the correct definition of GZ, which is "the point of detonation of a nuclear blast.") No sir, the terrorists aren't going to succeed in dampening MY enjoyment of this song! It's continues to be a staple of my Christmas morning each and every year, and it should be of yours, too. 10/10

OVERALL: Don't know if I have a soft spot for this one since it's one of the first Al-bums I owned, but then so was DTBS, and that one is far from my favorite. No, I think this album holds up quite well, and I'm surprised at how underrated it seems to be. This would definitely crack the Top 5 on my list of favorite Al-bums. (My major complaint would be I just wish it were longer. . .it seems so short!) 8.5/10

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Moose
Occasional

Post by Moose »

LIVING WITH A HERNIA: Good song, but I think it maybe goes on a little too long. After a while I kind of get the fact that he has a hernia and want to move on. Works better as a video. 6/10

DOG EAT DOG: Definitely my favorite on the album. The style is fantastic, and the lyrics are really funny. Always reminds me of Office Space too, which is a plus. 10/10

ADDICTED TO SPUDS: Another good one. My mom is obsessed with potatoes, so I can relate. 8/10

ONE OF THOSE DAYS: How can you go wrong with references to the Beatles and the Nazis in one song? 7/10

POLKA PARTY!: Some catchy stuff in here. 7/10

HERE'S JOHNNY: Fun, catchy song. Love the hey-o, and Al's voice. 8/10

DON'T WEAR THOSE SHOES: Utterly meaningless, but fun nonetheless. 7/10

TOOTHLESS PEOPLE: Eugh. Al's voice kind of just annoys me in this song. It's grown on me after a while, but still pretty weak. 5/10

GOOD ENOUGH FOR NOW: I love this semi-love song. It's mean, but in kind of a sweet way. 9/10

CHRISTMAS AT GROUND ZERO: Perfect parody (but not a parody) of those classic holiday jingles. Always fun to listen to. 10/10

I think this album has some great songs individually, but for some reason it just doesn't come together as well as most others. Probably my least listened to ALbum. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

I'm sure a lot of folks here will agree with me when I say this ALbum is underrated. It may have been his poorest seller, but it's far from his weakest.

1. Living With A Hernia - As Austin Powers would say, yeah, baby! One of his best parodies musically, plus Al clearly did his research with the lyrics. Love the "I feel bad" at the end :lookaround: 9/10

2. Dog Eat Dog - While I do like this song, it's never really been one of my favorites. I'm not a big Talking Heads fan, so that may have something to do with it. However, the lyrics are funny. 7/10

3. Addicted To Spuds - Not a big fan of this one, personally; I've always found it dull, even though I like the line "I can't deny they've got appeal". One of my least favorite food songs, and my least favorite Greatest Hit. 5/10

4. One Of Those Days - Musically, this one reminds me a bit of the Kinks' "Ducks On The Wall", which was one of Al's picks on iTunes. Coincidence? I hope so. That being said, it's not one I really like, though I can enjoy it. 6/10

5. Polka Party! - Al's most underrated polka. I think it's much easier to appreciate this one if you know the songs which are included, as Al's accordion mimics the original music really well. 8/10

6. Here's Johnny - Another highly underrated song. John Roarke does a very good Ed McMahon. (BTW, I did not know this song was a parody until a couple of years after I got the album, likely due to Scotti Bros. being cheap and not printing liner notes.) 9/10

7. Don't Wear Those Shoes - Funny song, but nothing special. 7/10

8. Toothless People - Again, not a big fan of this one. 4/10

9. Good Enough For Now - One of only a handful of country songs I like. (Of course, this is Al we're talking about; he can make just about anything sound good.) The fiddle solo is a nice touch. 8/10

10. Christmas At Ground Zero - How can you go wrong with a concept like this? 9/10
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tessaigapants
Occasional

Post by tessaigapants »

I was also one of the two or three people who actually bought PP when it was released. And I enjoyed it two.
Coulda woulda shoulda sold better. I'm glad that Al trancended this and isn't currently lying in a gutter sipping woolite.

What?!?! Rate Al's songs on a scale of 1 to 10? Hard to do. They're all great!
(well, most of them anyway)

Living With A Hernia: Love the video, Al continues to show off his dance-style-parody talent.

Dog eat dog: My favorite. I wasn't a fan/aware of the Talking Heads so at the time
I thought that this was all Al. Reminds me of what I did in school most of the time.

Addicted to Spuds: Good parody, but Al's outdone himself over the years.
I'm glad I'm not on adkins. This song makes me hungry.

One of those days: Another favorite. I'll listen to this song to brighten my mood
whenever things like that happen to me.

Polka Party!: Do the Harlem Polka! And those little ding-ding hammer sounds
for Sledgehammer. Oh, and I like this part.

Here's Johnny: Number 5 is alive... no wait. Love the laughter toward the end.

Don't wear those shoes: I rarely listen to this song.

Toothless people: ditto.

Good enough for now: Love the subtle humor. You can play this song for friends
and they won't know they've been subjected to "The Eat It Guy" unless they
really pay attention.

Christmas at Ground Zero: An instant holday tradition! Christmas for me would
bland if I didn't get to play this song.
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

The highlight for "Dog Eat Dog" for me is the funny noises he makes when trying to impersonate David Byrne. ;)

I actually don't like this version of "Christmas At Ground Zero" very much - I like the alternate version from the b-side of one of the later singles a lot better.
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
tessaigapants
Occasional

Post by tessaigapants »

TheLazenby @ Jun 29 2006, 07:42 PM wrote: I actually don't like this version of "Christmas At Ground Zero" very much - I like the alternate version from the b-side of one of the later singles a lot better.
Well tie me up and toss me to the Siafu..... Now I won't be able to rest peacfully
until I hear this alternate version myself. Gee... thanks a lot.
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

TheLazenby Posted on Jun 29 2006, 06:42 PM
  I actually don't like this version of "Christmas At Ground Zero" very much - I like the alternate version from the b-side of one of the later singles a lot better.

What do you like better about it?

tessaigapants Posted on Jun 29 2006, 05:34 PM
  I was also one of the two or three people who actually bought PP when it was released. And I enjoyed it two.

As did I

Coulda woulda shoulda sold better.

Definitely

DON'T WEAR THOSE SHOES: Already asked and answered in Ask Al. And that's all I have to say about that.
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

Living With A Hernia - A fantastic song, but it works better as a video - 9/10
Dog Eat Dog - Al's funniest song without question - 10/10
Addicted to Spuds - I loved the original and adding potatoes in the mix, bravo - 9/10
One of Those Days - Upbeat and comical, what more can you ask for - 9/10
Polka Party - Not the best Polka, but probably the best 80s Polka - 8/10
Here's Johnny - A great song, a bit to "poppy" for my liking though. RIP Ed McMahon - 8/10
Don't Wear Those Shoes - Represents the true randomness of Al - 9/10
Toothless People - The worst song on the album. The original was too plain - 5/10
Good Enough for Now - Al can take a bad thing (Country Music) and make it FANTASTIC! - 9/10
Christmas at Ground Zero - Not as good as TNSWC but it's still a classic - 8/10

Overall - My 2nd favourite Al album. It should've sold better. My only complaint (except for Toothless People) is that it's too short - 9/10
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”
JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Re:

Post by JohnnyLurg »

TheLazenby wrote:The highlight for "Dog Eat Dog" for me is the funny noises he makes when trying to impersonate David Byrne. ;)

I wasn't even aware there was an alternate version of "Christmas At Ground Zero," just an alternate version of "The Night Santa Went Crazy."
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Re:

Post by Killingsworth »

JohnnyLurg wrote:I wasn't even aware there was an alternate version of "Christmas At Ground Zero," just an alternate version of "The Night Santa Went Crazy."
If you haven't heard it, it's just a mix where the bells are louder and more prominent and the air raid sirens are gone.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...