Weird Arts And Crafts

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

Morbid Undead
Occasional

Re: Weird Arts And Crafts

Post by Morbid Undead »

*sigh* Well, I "finished" my drawing of Al as Gaga. Sort of. I messed up the body so I just ended up cutting it out. Here's the proper scanned drawing:

http://twitpic.com/6yqf4c
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
WeirdMary0427
Obsessed

Post by WeirdMary0427 »

LOVE IT. You are rather talented :)
Morbid Undead
Occasional

Post by Morbid Undead »

Thank you :)
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

I am thinking of making some Al-related apparel (like silk screening album covers onto shirts and stuff), but I've never done it before. Has anyone done this? Would using a CD cover, a UHF logo, the CPFoA logo, and other things like that technically be a copyright infringement? Or is it OK to use them as long as the item is for personal use only? (not for sale)

If it's an infringement, who would you need to go to in order to ask for or pay for permission? Has anyone actually done this with an Al-related item before, and if so, what was the response given? And finally, do Al and the guys seem to care about this kind of thing? I certainly don't want to tick anyone off, but I also don't want to go crazy with worry about this kind of thing if nobody else worries about it! It just seems like it would be fun to wear something to a concert that had my favorite Al things plastered over it. Anyone out there wear their own custom-made or handcrafted Al stuff to concerts and how do the guys react to it? Bonus to see some pics of it!!

Thanks, guys!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yes, I think all the things you mentioned would be copyright infringement, and personally I wouldn't want to set foot in the jungle of trying to obtain rights. I have seen people wear custom or handcrafted stuff to concerts, and Al seems to get a kick out of it-- but why not make your own art? That solves the copyright problem.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Hmm, unfortunately, I must admit that I suck at art. But, I was checking around tonight and noticed this pic of an "In 3D" jacket on The Mothership. The name and album title are missing, but other than that, it's an exact reproduction of the album cover (though done by hand, perhaps).

http://www.weirdal.com/fanart74.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, does drawing or making something by hand, as opposed to duplicating it in a pixel-by-pixel machine type fashion, make the difference between infringement and non-infringement? (or leaving out something from the original, such as the album title?) I honestly don't know, but am just curious for my own learning (er, not to take this too far off-topic!!) I would have thought it was essentially the same thing.

Either way, having just seen that jacket on The Mothership, I can't imagine anyone in Al's entourage taking offence at similar custom things on clothing (like other album covers, DVD covers, etc). I didn't really think they'd take issue, but I guess I just try to do the right thing whenever possible (when it's within reason). But I'm also fine with following the crowd in a situation where it seems reasonable to do so.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I THINK, but I'm no expert, that if you draw it by hand and aren't selling it, there shouldn't be any major problem.
Alexis Adams
Occasional
Awards: None.
Yet.

Post by Alexis Adams »

Morbid Undead wrote:*sigh* Well, I "finished" my drawing of Al as Gaga. Sort of. I messed up the body so I just ended up cutting it out. Here's the proper scanned drawing:

http://twitpic.com/6yqf4c
Thats AWESOME, Amanda! I can't even draw like that! I wish! :D
THERE'S NOT ENOUGH BOOMBOOM STICKHOLE STICKS IN THE STICKHOLE!
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Two items! First, this is a t-shirt I designed. It is not only Al-inspired, but reflects my life philosophy! I mean, who is more proud to be Weird than Al? Stand up and be yourself, I say! (my Twitter and FB followers have already seen this twice by now, haha).

The second item is my Alpocalypse sneakers -- which have been graciously signed by Al and the entire band!!! Suffice it to say, they are the best pair of sneakers I've ever owned! I did not paint them myself -- they were done by a professional Toronto-based artist. http://airbrushtoronto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me wearing the ensemble. :)

― Albert Einstein
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Weird Arts And Crafts

Post by minnick27 »

That shirt is awesome! The shoes are cool too, but the shirt!!
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ