WOWAY 10 years : Memories

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ali(son)
Occasional
Location: The shadows of Mt. Monadnock where NH meets VT and MA

Re: WOWAY 10 years : Memories

Post by Ali(son) »

taralyn919 wrote:Who here remembers the IRC
Alison waves her hand(s) :w

I joined WOWAY on November 5, 2001 as Alison (from New Hampshire)
but I lurked around so long without posting that when I tried to post earlier this year I had to rejoin again as Ali(son)

I love WOWAY and find it a most delightful WAY to start off my day (with a nice cup of coffee).

Anyone remember the Stupid Club at Yahoo Groups?
Betsy started that in August 2000 and by October 2001 there were over 34,000 posts.....but then came WOWAY !

WOWAY became the WAY Mecca and Stupid Club posts plummeted so quickly our heads spun :up:
Posts in Oct 2001 were 3,020 which dropped to 1,257 in Nov and then Jan - Aug 2002 there was a spell with zero posts!

It is all good-

I believe WOWAY combines the best of all the other clubs and I appreciate the hard work to keep it this WAY!
Congrats to all the moderators for a fantastic job!

Happy Anniversary WOWAY!

~Alison & Ali(son)
spunkyandy
Occasional

Post by spunkyandy »

You're welcome WHiZZi!
I've only been on WOWAY for a few years, but have been an AL fan since the 80's. I do not have a lot of Al fans (other than my kids) in my private life, so it gives me a chance to touch base with people about Al- related stuff, and make friends with people of like interests as well. I also like the links that have been posted and have really enjoyed Area 51. Thanks so much for creating this website-look forward to years to come ('cause Al isn't retiring anytime soon!!). :clap: :pentiums:

Andrea K.B.
Ridgefield, WA
~Andrea K. B.~ @AndreaKay1984
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I signed up here in 2003 or so, and I was an annoying kid who kept posting really bad song parody recordings. I don't know how any of you could stand me.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Congratulations, WHiZZi, on maintaining this excellent site for ten years. I have loved getting to know so many fellow Weird Al fans and making several new real life friends as a result of interactions on this site. There is little doubt that this is my favorite website on the Internet.
Thank you WHiZZi, bermuda, Dave, and the mods, for keeping this site running all this time, and for never banning me until the year 4747!

Rockin' the WOWAYs
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

YET.....

:P

Happy tenth, WOWAY. 11 more years, and you can drink!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Great job WHiZZi, love this forum! Visit the site everyday, and it's always a joy for the most part! Thanks again dude! Great to share the site with all you great Al fans!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
WeirdMary0427
Obsessed

Post by WeirdMary0427 »

I joined WOWAY back in 2008 when I was in 7th grade. I didn't start posting until a few days after I joined. I remember I got really sick and stayed home from school for three days. I didn't have much to do, so I decided to pop in and introduce myself on here. I was so surprised at all the warm welcomes I received. I basically spent those entire three days on here, making friends, and listening to Bananaphone repeatedly at the same time. From then on, I continued to post and make friends, and I just felt really at home here. Junior high can be rough, and I often felt pretty lonely, but WOWAY was a huge source of comfort for me and it actually boosted my confidence quite a bit.
For about a year or so, I stopped going on here, and I guess you could say I tried to push any Al-related things out of my life. I lost touch with a lot of people on here. It makes me sad because I feel like I could have really built some strong friendships on here, but I threw it all away and pretty much had to start all over back in 2010 when I realized that pushing Al out of my life was a huge mistake. He means the WORLD to me. Since then, I've rekindled some friendships and have gotten to know some new people, as well. I'm super thankful that I'm able to talk to other people in the world who love Al just as much as I do.
Happy 10th birthday WOWAY! :whoot:
Corey
Off The Deep End
Awards: 2015 Best Al Man (-18)

Post by Corey »

Everyone's worst memory: When I started posting.
6/30/15
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I have no memories of this place. :blink: :?

:P

Happy 10th anniversary WOWAY!! My most favorititist place on the WHOLE wide internet!! :whoot:

Dave
DrSteggy
Off The Deep End
Awards: Winner, Survivor All Stars

Post by DrSteggy »

I was fairly active on AMWA and IRC during the RWS tour...when I saw Al live for the first time and immediately thought "I need to do that again." After RWS ended, AMWA quickly became unreadable an no fun. Eventually I came here. I'm still friends with many I met on AMWA (Dave, Adrian, Anne, I think I met Fred on AMWA first) but I've met so many other fun folks here. I don't post nearly as much as I used too, but I certainly still lurk.

I am glad to have a place to come back to that is so well run....and really, this is a fairly drama free place compared to other message boards I frequent (plastic horses apparently brew it) Thanks for being there, WOWAY, here is to 10 more!
"Positioning is everything in life." A. de La Hunta