Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Moderator: Moderators

Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

Look everyone like's different songs so cant we all just get along. :)

Brue, I dont know if your being defensive or just stateing your opinion which is fine. Im just wondering. Because what I have read there is a lot of debating going on and its sounds angry.
Al team # 2836
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

scottidog @ Jan 11 2004, 05:33 PM wrote: Well at least 100% anyway. But yeah, I think so too. Because like it or not, his name is still attached to it. And his fans are still going to shell out cash for it. He's not going to slack.
I've changed my opinion. You made so great points, Scottidog. I always thought the song was funny, but it's not one of my favorites. But I agree that Al would do his best simply because of the love he has for his fans. If it wasn't as good as his other songs, maybe it was because he was forced to write it, and maybe he didn't have as much time as he would've liked.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

Post by squishsquashgirl »

I think it somewhat ironic that the song that you are all dissing so much is the one that made my little sister laugh so hard that she had to sprint to the bathroom. I don't think that the song was too bad. Not my favorite, but not as bad as some of you are making out. But I do agree that Al's voice in it has an underlying note of "Ha ha! You can make me sing the stupid song, but you can't make me sing it nicely!"
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

squishsquashgirl @ Jan 13 2004, 09:48 PM wrote: But I do agree that Al's voice in it has an underlying note of "Ha ha! You can make me sing the stupid song, but you can't make me sing it nicely!"
This was before he had any vocal training. As far as I'm concerned Al's voice sounds much better now. A lot of his early recordings actually make me cringe. He may not have made his voice sound that way on purpose, He might not have been able to control it at the time. Just a thought.
Cid
%
squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

I don't know....he did do that a lot in his early years, but if you listen to songs like LAS and Yoda, which are on the same album and were recorded at the same time, Al's voice sounds pretty mature.
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

Al's voice has definately gotten better over the years. Back in the early days, he was probably combining his still improving voice and the somewhat "whiny"* style had back then.

*This is in no way implying Al was, or is, whiny. However, if you listen to a few of his early songs, they don't sound a bit that way.
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

Now he confines his falsettos and stuff to the polkas.
Waldo318
Die-hard Fan

Post by Waldo318 »

1) Lyrically and comedy-wise, it's just not as clever, funny, or imaginative as most of his stuff.

I think it is a very funny song, and is clever (given the original), compaired to his new stuff it is a little lacking, but compaired to other parodies of that time is it fine.

2) Musically, it sounded more like something that would have been on his debut album, with the musical hands and so on.
It sounds fine, you may want to re-listen to the original. Plus what's wrong with musical hands...this was off his 3rd album, when he still had that "older" sound. I think it sounds musicaly great.

3) Vocally, not only did he not attempt to duplicate Lauper's singing (which, granted, is very unique and difficult to imitate), but he sang in that really obnoxious, annoying voice.
I think he was making fun of Lauper's obnoxious and annoying voice. Plus he dosen't always imitate the females (or sometimes male) voice. Again, listen to the original, he sound pretty close for a guy.

I this is is a fine song.

I don't think Al would make a bad song to "stick it to the man". Why would he put his reputation, the album, and his career on the line.
?
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

In the end I think Al rushed the song at the last minute, with little time to plan it out, resulting in a weaker song. I don't think Al is a guy who would say, "You want me to do a parody? Fine, but it'll be terrible!"

Either way, I'm not going to blame him. It's not like the song weighs the true talent of Al.
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I think someone said before, that, with the exception of "Pretty Fly (for a Rabbi)," songs that are already pretty humorous aren't parodied as well as serious songs are. GJWTHF was a pretty humor/fun-based song.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;