The Alternative Polka

Moderator: Moderators

FredHuggins
Obsessed

Re: The Alternative Polka

Post by FredHuggins »

HappyGilmore wrote:As much as I love this song, I think Alice in Chains should've been included in it somewhere. They had an album out around that time.
But were any songs from that album huge Top 40 hits? That factors into it. Hell, I wish TMBG could've had a big enough hit to be included in a polka - can you even imagine the awesomeness of a polkafied "Snail Shell"?
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

FredHuggins wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:As much as I love this song, I think Alice in Chains should've been included in it somewhere. They had an album out around that time.
But were any songs from that album huge Top 40 hits? That factors into it. Hell, I wish TMBG could've had a big enough hit to be included in a polka - can you even imagine the awesomeness of a polkafied "Snail Shell"?
They had two songs do relatively well around '95 and '96: "Got Me Wrong" and "Heaven Beside You". Plus, they did an MTV Unplugged special and a bunch of their songs were being played all over the place.

Who knows, though. Maybe it was a situation like with Nickelback, couldn't see where he'd fit it, and didn't ask.
mattboy115
Occasional

Post by mattboy115 »

What exactly does this have to do with The Alternative Polka?
There is only one who can save us. His name is Weird. No, really, Weird is his name.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

mattboy115 wrote:What exactly does this have to do with The Alternative Polka?
I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

HappyGilmore wrote:I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.
Weezer pulled out at the very last second (the liner notes were already printed!!), so there was barely enough time to edit Buddy Holly out of the polka, certainly no time to add in a little segment and have it match the parts before and after.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

TMBJon wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.
Weezer pulled out at the very last second (the liner notes were already printed!!), so there was barely enough time to edit Buddy Holly out of the polka, certainly no time to add in a little segment and have it match the parts before and after.
Yeah.

Why'd they pull out anyway?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

If anyone understood how Rivers Cuomo's mind works, the world would be a very different place.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Wasn't the full version of TAP supposed to be released on a BHD single but that fell through? If that's the case, then Cuomo must have given permission, taken it back, given it again and then taken it back once again all in the span of about a year. And we all thought Coolio was difficult around that time.

(Ok, in fairness we don't know the full details so I probably shouldn't accuse Rivers of anything)
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I've read that too, but I can't remember where... If that's the case, I hope that the "Buddy Holly" section was mixed and mastered and is just sitting on a shelf somewhere, to be released one day.
mattboy115
Occasional

Post by mattboy115 »

Well until then you've got my "repaired" version that I linked you to a few posts back. :lol:
There is only one who can save us. His name is Weird. No, really, Weird is his name.