Make The Rock Hall Weird

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

jbracciante
Addicted

Post by jbracciante »

Thanks for the NOT annoying reminder. Would have forgotten to vote if you hadn't reposted.
07: 5/5, 8/6
08: 7/9, 7/11
09: Al Fest 8/1, Al's Brain 8/2
10: 6/17, 6/19, 6/25, 6/27, 9/4
11: 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 7/13
12: 5/11
15: 6/13, 6/16, 7/31
16: 9/23
18: 3/16
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Something you should have mentioned, CatraDhtem, is that you need to verify an email before posting. For some reason, it took an hour for the confirmation code to get to my inbox. But it was all worth it when I got to add my write-in to the (mostly Al-dominated, by the way) poll. Unfortunately, it seems that in the root poll, Genesis got 73% of 500 votes. Dot the math and you'll see that Genesis and some other nominees are ahead of Weird Al by a long shot, probably because most people that visit the site are newbies with no knowledge of write-ins. Oh well.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

There's no way anyone expected Al to do better than anyone on the actual poll, but there are definitely enough votes for Al that it will warrant another mention in the Plain-Dealer.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

JCM @ October 06, 2009 05:34 pm wrote: Something you should have mentioned, CatraDhtem, is that you need to verify an email before posting. For some reason, it took an hour for the confirmation code to get to my inbox. But it was all worth it when I got to add my write-in to the (mostly Al-dominated, by the way) poll.
I'm sorry it took that long for a confirmation e-mail to be sent to you. I really don't know about that site sometimes.

Another monkey wrench that was thrown in was the fact that the comment function was seemingly deactivated on the site for several days, long after the main poll was already up and running. So unfortunately the nominees already had a very big head start long before most people could even post a write-in candidate. At last check there were only a little over two dozen comments posted, so it's possible that a lot of fans of various acts simply became discouraged and haven't been back to the poll yet (if they plan to at all).

Nevertheless, it does look like Al's in the lead for the write-ins, but we still have a few days left to bury the relative needle.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

Yankovic-Gretzky @ September 28, 2009 11:29 pm wrote: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... nt-1734364

Readers’ Rock List: Who Should Be Nominated For the Hall of Fame?
9/28/09, 1:11 pm EST
Photo: McConnell/Getty

Last week, after revealing that Kiss had finally been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, we asked our readers what other acts have been overlooked by Rock Immortality. We expected Rush to dominate this poll, but it was the fans of “Weird Al” Yankovic who came rushing to Rolling Stone, demanding that the king of musical satire get a HOF nod. Frustrated fans of the Smiths, Tom Waits and Television also had their say, as did those who felt Lou Reed should be recognized for his solo works. For the full Readers’ Rock List, check below:

1. “Weird Al” Yankovic
2. Rush
3. The Moody Blues
4. The Smiths
5. Alice Cooper
6. Television
7. Beastie Boys
8. Deep Purple
9. Lou Reed
10. Jethro Tull
11. MC5
12. New York Dolls
13. Roxy Music
14. Tom Waits
15. Sonic Youth

Rolling Stone
I'm always seeing results of polls conducted by Rolling Stone magazine, but I never hear or see any announcements about any polls being conducted and I don't know where to go to vote! Have any of you ever voted? Where's the page? Where were the questions posed? :rolleyes:
Now I may be dead but I still love you
My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yankovic-Gretzky @ October 08, 2009 12:39 pm wrote: I'm always seeing results of polls conducted by Rolling Stone magazine, but I never hear or see any announcements about any polls being conducted and I don't know where to go to vote! Have any of you ever voted? Where's the page? Where were the questions posed? :rolleyes:
The announcement was made by me in this very thread.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

And Peggy
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

TMBJon @ September 25, 2009 11:07 pm wrote: Hey folks, what kind of backward world do we live in where Greg is busy editing and I'm here posting a Make The Rock Hall Weird mission???

Anyways, this just came up on Rolling Stone's "Rock Daily" blog and I think we should all go in and post in the comments:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... rock-hall/

This is a weekend poll so be sure to log your comment by Sunday afternoon!!
So people were supposed to just list names of artists on that page, and which ever artists names appear the most, win?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Yankovic-Gretzky @ October 08, 2009 05:23 pm wrote: So people were supposed to just list names of artists on that page, and which ever artists names appear the most, win?
Pretty much, although I'm sure a couple of the comments posted probably said something like "I don't agree on X ARTIST," so one would hope the folks at RS were paying attention and not just counting names...just to be accurate.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... is-weirdo/

Fans to Rock Hall: Induct this Weirdo!
1/9/07, 4:08 pm EST

Is Weird Al — the guy that brought you “Eat It” and made sure the melody from that Chamillionaire song was stuck in your head for a month longer than it would have been — worthy of induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? A great many of his fans think so, and some of them have organized a grassroots’ campaign to get Al elected to the Hall — complete with a downloadable petition and requests for “field operatives” to go around collecting signatures. While we admire the spirit behind a good grass-roots initiative, we can’t quite get behind this one. Granted, homeboy is the most famous parody artist of all time and also managed to make a two-decades-plus career of it. He’s made us laugh several times. But he’s also pop music’s answer to “Mad Magazine” — a guy whose entire creative process involves simply rejiggering the lyrics to huge pop hits for parodies that really ain’t all that clever. For some perspective, check out this classic fake article from the Onion, “’Weird Al Yankovic Nears Completion of ‘Livin La Vida Mocha’.”

Christian Hoard