Make The Rock Hall Weird

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Hey folks, what kind of backward world do we live in where Greg is busy editing and I'm here posting a Make The Rock Hall Weird mission???

Anyways, this just came up on Rolling Stone's "Rock Daily" blog and I think we should all go in and post in the comments:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... rock-hall/

For years, members of the Kiss Army stamped their feet in unison every time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations were announced and the Gods of Thunder weren’t on the short list. That all changed this year: Kiss is finally up for Rock Immortality, opening the door for another band with a fervent fanbase to demand justice.

So this weekend’s Rock List is dedicated to bands our readers feel should be nominated for the Rock Hall. We’re fully expecting a rush of Rush fans to dominate the polls, but as evidenced from the feedback from our 2010 nominations story, there are dozens of artists readers feel should be inducted, so have your say in the comments. Until then, here are some artists to spark the debate:

• Tom Waits
• The Beastie Boys
• Rush
• Sonic Youth
• Warren Zevon

This is a weekend poll so be sure to log your comment by Sunday afternoon!!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Good job finding that, Jon!

Similarly, the "Plain Dealer" in Cleveland is having its annual readers poll. It looks like they're doing things a little differently and more-"Web 2.0ish" this year, asking people to post their write-in choices via blog comments (a la the "Rolling Stone" poll).

I'm currently having trouble actually being able to post a comment, so the web page might still be prototypical, but here is the URL at the moment:

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ss ... rving.html

I also can't find a deadline listed anywhere, so I'm just going to wait and see if anything is indicated in tomorrow's print edition before posting the URL all over the place like on the web site or blog...they also might print an easier-to-pass-along URL, maybe even one that leads to a page that actually has a write-in form, who knows.

As for this year's nominations, I'm not sure if there's anything I can say that I didn't convey on the blog already (everyone interested in the campaign IS following the blog, right?? www.allthingsyank.com/blog). Personally the only artist I am actually excited for is Genesis, as I've been a fan of theirs for a long time and feel that their lack of a nomination over the years has been a bigger snub than some of the other artists that people have routinely griped about. There is clearly some sort of bias there against the late-'70s/early-'80s period.

And really, Laura Nyro?? I mean, come on. "Polka Party!" has sold more copies than her entire catalog combined.

I already mentioned this on the blog, but on Al's birthday we're going to have an online show of solidarity: The First Annual Make the Rock Hall "Weird" Tweet-In.

It's going to be pretty simple: just send a tweet to the Rock Hall museum's official Twitter account (rock_hall) and request that Al be inducted. Granted the museum doesn't make those decisions, but it is meant to be more symbolic than anything, a virtual version of the KISS march from a couple of years ago.

And of course, it is strongly suggested that everyone send a final greeting card to the Rock Hall Foundation so that it arrives on October 23 (even if you have already sent one)...and yeah, it would be nice to send another card to some guy in Hollywood as well.

I'm going to try to promote the Tweet-In a bit through the usual media channels, but I wanted to ask for opinions first about one specific part....

I am going to try to arrange for some top 40 FM stations across the country to play some Al during the day on October 23. Some probably already would have being his birthday and all, but if we can coordinate it to tie in with the Tweet-In, all the better.

Now, would everyone prefer I try to get them to play an Al track at one specific time all across the country (like, for example, 3PM EST)? Or one specific time in each time zone? Or whenever the stations can find the time? I'm not yet leaning any one specific way, as each option has pros and cons, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought first. After all, this is an event for everyone to participate in and enjoy.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Definitely just ask the stations to play Al any time they can fit it in. They may already have something planned for a specific time and it would just be nice if they played him at all.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Wow! Awesome!

Congratulations and thanks for heeding the call everyone! We made to to Rolling Stone's blog!!!!!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Very cool.

I posted a comment to the idiot who said "Weird Al, Jethro Tull, and Alice Cooper totally don’t deserve it. Gimmicks are no substitute for talent."

<_<
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I'm glad somebody did. That was uncalled for..grrr!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... nt-1734364

Readers’ Rock List: Who Should Be Nominated For the Hall of Fame?
9/28/09, 1:11 pm EST
Photo: McConnell/Getty

Last week, after revealing that Kiss had finally been nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, we asked our readers what other acts have been overlooked by Rock Immortality. We expected Rush to dominate this poll, but it was the fans of “Weird Al” Yankovic who came rushing to Rolling Stone, demanding that the king of musical satire get a HOF nod. Frustrated fans of the Smiths, Tom Waits and Television also had their say, as did those who felt Lou Reed should be recognized for his solo works. For the full Readers’ Rock List, check below:

1. “Weird Al” Yankovic
2. Rush
3. The Moody Blues
4. The Smiths
5. Alice Cooper
6. Television
7. Beastie Boys
8. Deep Purple
9. Lou Reed
10. Jethro Tull
11. MC5
12. New York Dolls
13. Roxy Music
14. Tom Waits
15. Sonic Youth

Rolling Stone
Now I may be dead but I still love you
My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

High-fives all around, gang!! :D

This was a very pleasant surprise, and I don't know what this will mean--if anything--in terms of the Rock Hall considering Al, but considering the incestuous relationship the hall has with "Rolling Stone," I'm quite optimistic. :)

And all the better, the blog presented the news of the results seriously...no snarky asides, no tongue-in-cheek backhanded compliments, etc. They put Al in a pretty apt context, "the king of musical satire." "Rolling Stone's" words, not ours.

I'm still trying to find out what's going on with the "Plain Dealer's" similar poll, so hopefully I'll get an answer soon so we can polka that vote as well.

Way to go, everyone!!!!!!!! :)
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

And you may find the campaign twitter account has a few more followers too. Cmon people spread the word.. we need people power, and outside our little circle too
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

*Happy Dance*
Rolling Stone is awesome, and the article should definitely help.
http://www.kristinekreations.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOW CASTING: Perform This Way, A WOWAY Fan Video