Skipper Dan

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

I will agree that Skipper Dan isn't all that laugh out loud funny like the rest of you, but I still love the instrumentation and overall catchiness of the song to the point of asking Jace last night if he could lay some tracks down for me for a parody of the song I'm working on. Took him all night, too, so a huge thanks to Jace for re-creating Skipper Dan for me.

@Jace: I sampled the acoustic guitar and riff from the original so it'd stay somewhat true to the original recording. It's quite satisfying to listen to, so thanks again!

@Anyone else who's interested in obtaining the instrumental Jace made for me: Drop me a line with the subject "Skipper Dan Instrumental" and I'll upload it on RapidShare for anyone who wants it. Just be sure to credit Jace if you guys wish to record your own version of the song.

Back on Topic: I believe that Skipper Dan is one of those songs you don't get tired of playing over and over again because it sounds just so good.
"...Enthusiasm mediocre; keep in mind the animals are DEAD!"
WAYFan
Addicted

Post by WAYFan »

Totally seconded. As the instruments just blast in on "Tour guide", or even the drums right before "Hit the boards", you feel on top of the world. (For me, much like Glee's version of "Don't Stop Believing".)
Janet! Dr. Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky! (BULLWINKLE!)

Hellooooooooooooooo, Nurse!
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

I just listened to it adn the chorus is fantastic but I think verse needs something more if you know what I mean
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Skipper Dan discussed in a Disney podcast
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Theguyoverthere
Occasional

Post by Theguyoverthere »

This song's chorus, bridge, and part with the NANANA's are the best parts. For some reason I don't really like the verses. But the melody of the chorus is so catchy!
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

It would fit well on his Even Worse Album Don't you think?
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

L285 @ July 22, 2009 02:45 pm wrote: It would fit well on his Even Worse Album Don't you think?
It would fit comfortably on any album between EW and BHD.

Someone else I know said it might fit comfortably on PH
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I hear stylistic similarities to "Airline Amy" and "Close But No Cigar," not so much in the actual musical style but in terms of the type of song it is. I've heard people say Good Old Days and Melanie as well. What else? What dates it in the 88-96 range?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

I think it sounds like the REM ones (Frank's 2000" TV & Spam)
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

robaustin @ July 17, 2009 04:42 pm wrote: That depends on your definition of "one hit wonder".

FOW has had many hits on the alternative charts, as has Cake. If you're strictly talking Top 40 - I'm not sure Cake has had even one single make it to the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 (Either "The Distance" or "I will Survive" may have...but nothing else Cake has done has equalled anything close to the success of those two songs), whereas FOW has had Stacy's Mom. That would make FOW a One hit wonder, and Cake a no hit wonder (but - I don't have access to the Billboard charts so I do not know for sure). Both are pretty equal in terms of music business status - they both have a good size fan base and following, but they're not on par with a bigger band like say...Nickelback. They both play mid size venues - usually theaters or clubs, and they are both heard on alternative radio, but as more of an "oh wow" act rather than a staple.

I think the ultimate point I'm trying to make here - is that Al does not pick all the style parodies he does by how popular the group is - he picks some by what HE likes. Ben Folds could also be considered a "one hit wonder" - since the only hit he's had (to my knowledge) is "Brick". Yet - Al took the time to style parody him on "Why Does this Always happen to Me?" All likes Cake. Al very well may like FOW, but he didn't nail FOW in this song. Robbie FUlks though, did nail exactly what a FOW should have. Give it a listen.

--*Rob
Cool. Thanks for the explanation.