Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Moderator: Moderators

Theguyoverthere
Occasional

Post by Theguyoverthere »

It's an alright song. I have to agree on the voice thing, just very grating and annoying. Wouldn't want to listen to it with my family like I might do with some song that Al "disguised" his voice, like in Dare to Be Stupid, or Amish Paradise.

All the comments of Al doing it poorly on purpose are possible, especially if you take into consideration that Girls just wanna have lunch didn't appear on the Food Album...
polkafreak708
Obsessed

Post by polkafreak708 »

Goofball0427 @ Apr 10 2008, 03:03 PM wrote: I honestly don't have a problem with this song. I think it's pretty funny!
i agree! :great:
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

If there was someone who wasn't a fan, but wanted to hear his other music after one of his huge songs, they should stay FAR away from this song. This and most of the stuff off the first album, a few from this one, and about 3 from Polka Party!. Everything else is great.
Skippy
Addicted

Re: Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Post by Skippy »

So, I've been thinking about the story that Al was forced to do a Cyndi Lauper parody by his label and I don't think I've ever heard why.

CBS owned both Lauper's label and Scotti Bros. at the time, so I have to think that they thought a Weird Al parody would help Lauper. Most people probably don't remember, but there was very trumped-up, media-driven Madonna/Lauper "rivalry" back then, so I wonder if that played into it? Maybe CBS thought that if Al did a Madonna parody and not a Lauper parody, he was being a traitor? I know that sounds dumb, but telling your artists what songs they have to write and record is pretty dumb too.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I seem to recall hearing that, at the time, they thought Madonna was going to be a flash in the pan, whereas Cyndi Lauper was the real deal.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TMBJon wrote:I seem to recall hearing that, at the time, they thought Madonna was going to be a flash in the pan, whereas Cyndi Lauper was the real deal.
If that's the case, then I think my theory could have some validity. It makes more sense that what they cared about was how a popular Weird Al parody could impact one of their top artists, rather than how the career trajectory of some other artist would impact Weird Al. We'll probably never know, but I think it's an interesting situation.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Plus they profit on both ends. Als records usually give a bump to the original songs as well, so they make extra scratch
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
FreeDeliveryFan
Occasional

Post by FreeDeliveryFan »

I bought "Dare To Be Stupid" around 2007 when the stores still actually carried most of his albums, and I was a lot younger and had no clue this song even existed! Not a favorite by me by a longshot, but my favorite lines are "When I whip out my diner's card" & "She eats like, she's got a hole in her neck". And yeah we all know the story behind the song...imagine the humor if somehow he busted out this song again for some reason! :D
"Near...far...I'll Jump In My Car!"
FreeDeliveryFan
Occasional

Post by FreeDeliveryFan »

I'll admit i was a little bored and was browsing Al's albums on Itunes store when i realized something on DTBS's track listing. (As I post this today) Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch is the 2nd most popular bought track on the album only beat by Yoda. I just thought that was a little interesting lol. I wonder how long it has been like that.
"Near...far...I'll Jump In My Car!"
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Before I learned about Al not liking this song I was okay with it, thinking it was a middle of the road parody. It's strange, but learning about his dislike for this song actually caused me to like this song less. When I listen to his grating vocals I think, "He didn't have to do that". He was able to get close to Madonna's vocals on "LAS", he could've gotten closer to Lauper's vocals. Still, I don't dislike the song as much as Al does. 3 out of 5 stars.