Hardware Store

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

I get the first four items then just start laughing. I can do the WAS Theme perfectly, and the bridge in YHFT, but HS just kills me. Even if I have the lyrics in front of me. Geez!
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I can't even speak that fast, so I'll probably never be able to get that down. Oh well. I can do the rest of the song nicely.

-CindyBob
Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

I naturally speak fast, so that's not the problem. Maybe it's because I usually listen to my CDs while I'm driving, and there's this little thing called paying attention to the idiots around me that keeps me from being able to concentrate enough on the lyrics to get it right. TWAST and the YHFT bridge are relatively short, so they're easy.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

I can kind of do it. I have to take around 2 breaths and I stumble over some words.
djgrrrl
Occasional

HWS

Post by djgrrrl »

I was sort of getting the impression that the bridge was edited together with separate takes. I read a comment from Al somewhere that it would be difficult to do that song live (that one and GIF-that one I understand).

I don't know why Al wouldn't be able to do HWS live (sound effects? They could be sampled into the keyboard). The only thing I can think of is that the bridge wasn't done in a single take.

But if you guys are saying you can do it, I'll keep trying (so far I can go up to 'trash compactors' - Loser that I am)...
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: HWS

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I don't know why Al wouldn't be able to do HWS live (sound effects? They could be sampled into the keyboard). The only thing I can think of is that the bridge wasn't done in a single take.

That, and the fact that Al did all the overlapping, harmonizing vocals in the verses. Al would either have to sing against a recorded track of himself, which he doesn't seem to like to do live, or else Jim would have to learn some of those parts, since he didn't sing on the recorded version, and it wouldn't sound the same with a different vocalist.
_superfly05_

Post by _superfly05_ »

I can do it :D ! It took a really long time to learn all the words but now I can do it.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Since I'm not an English-speaking person, that song, especially the bridge, really helped to improve my language skills (as all of Al's songs!). :biggrin: Maybe I could gather it in a topic on our English lessons, something like "Tools in your house" or just "Hardware Store" maybe.

SEVA.

-not even tried to pronounce this!

*Ok, I lied.* :P
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Since I'm not an English-speaking person, that song, especially the bridge, really helped to improve my language skills (as all of Al's songs!). :biggrin:

Hey, you are an English-speaking person! You're just not a native speaker of English!

I, on the other hand, am not any kind of speaker of Russian. :(
Happy Steve
Addicted

Post by Happy Steve »

I sang along to that part while driving to and from work. My commute time is extremely short, which matched my attention span perfectly. After three weeks I had it down pat. A month later, I suddenly realized I could sing along to it in one breath. Unfortunately, when I do that, my voice gets very nasal and monotone, but it can be done. Once you get to the "automatic circumsizers" line, that's when you'll know if you have enough air in you to complete the entire bridge.

And as a side note, you can also sing the same lyrics to other songs like:

I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major General (think "The Elements Song")

Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious

the Meow Mix jingle