Waffle King

Moderator: Moderators

weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

uwvark @ Jun 21 2007, 06:16 PM wrote: I wish there was one around here. We don't even have an IHOP. :(

That's just plain sad. ;( Let me know what city you live in and I'll mail you my town's IHOP. :D

Eh, then again, maybe not.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: Waffle King

Post by HappyGilmore »

Listening to this now, it's dawned on me it's a Peter Gabriel style.

I wasn't even aware of Peter Gabriel when I was a kid. I certainly appreciate the song more, now. Still not drop dead funny, but I appreciate it.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I've been seeing this one frequently voted quite high on the "Alapalooza originals that aren't very good" train.

I've never thought of it as being that bad. It's musically pretty fun, and a lack of jokes in the song itself doesn't make the concept be less funny.

What's the deal?
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

It's just kind of boring.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It's not a bad song. When I rate it low, it's in comparison to his other work. It doesn't hold up to stuff like "You Don't Love Me Anymore," "Frank's 2000" TV," "The Night Santa Went Crazy."
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

TMBJon wrote:It's just kind of boring.
Seconded. It really doesn't do a whole lot for me, and I can't even remember the last time I actually listened to it.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Another thing that hurt the song is that we'd already heard it by the time the album came out, and it really felt like filler, along with "Harvey." It would have been better if it stayed as a bonus track on the SLN single. Kind of like "Spy Hard." That was an okay track, but if it had been put on "Running with Scissors," it would have felt like filler.
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

It does a good job replicating Peter Gabriel's style, but I've never been a big fan of the lyrics.
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

It's interesting how its 1990 production actually does stick out like a sore thumb compared to everything else on the record. As a b-side, it was pretty exciting but it gets buried at the end of Alapalooza. "Hey batter, batter!" gets a laugh every time, though.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

For what it's worth, I've always enjoyed "Waffle King," even if it is rather middling as Al originals go. On the Alapalooza album, I enjoy it more than "Traffic Jam" and "Talk Soup," at any rate. The idea of someone's waffle recipe turning them into a worldwide celebrity and making said person incredibly vain is just ludicrous enough to be hilarious. And while I haven't heard many Peter Gabriel songs, Al certainly does a good job nailing his style.