The World Is Not Enough

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Seva
Obsessed

The World Is Not Enough

Post by Seva »

OK, before starting this topic, I want to ask moderators to let me know if this topic already existed.

This topic would be about Al items in the world aside US. Articles, records, Al-related people etc. UK and Australia are great, but non-English speaking countries would be even better.

Waiting for your answer, mods.

SEVA.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I'm not a moderator, but isn't this what the International forum is for?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I don't think it has been a topic. Are you talking about collectible items?

And Bruce is right, this fits better in International, so I'm gonna move it over there.

Over there, over there,

Send the word, send the word over there--

That the Yanks are coming,

The Yanks are coming,

The drums rum-tumming

Ev'rywhere.

So prepare, say a pray'r,

Send the word, send the word to beware.

We'll be over, we're coming over,

And we won't come back till it's over

Over there.

Oops. Sorry. I got carried away... I love WWII songs...
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Over There is a WWI song written by George M Cohan.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Back to topic. Here are world Al items I could find.

Russia. Sadly, almost nothing. The thing is, some people DO know Al here, and here are few ones who really knows much of his songs. But in the music stores - "it's sad, so sad, it's a so sad situation". They look at me with goo-goo eyes and ask me where did I find such rarity with unintelligible name. There was only one woman in the store - I asked her: "Do you have Weird Al Yankovic?" and she stared at me for a while and then said: "No... but I know what you're talking about. My brother loves it." Hope one day I'll find this man and bring him to this forum... :bigups:

Czech Republic. Nope. :( People out there really don't know who he is, except some articles suggesting us to recognize the "brilliant Smells Like Nirvana". There was only one "Al item" I could find - F*** the Macarena... :nervous: My friend had it on a computer. Thank God he didn't know the parodist's name...

Sweden. Surprise! Yes, we might say that Al is popular in Sweden. When I was in Czech Republic, there was my classmate with her Swedish friend. We're walking through Prague, and I was singing some Al song just for myself. He looked at me and said "Hey! It's Weird Al!" and smiled. Can you imagine my surprise and happiness and that moment??! :onfire: Later he explained that Al videos don't have a hard rotation on their television, but some channels show it and many people out there knows who he is. Whew! :biggrin:

Anyway, that's for start...

SEVA.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Umm, "***k the Macarenna" is definately NOT an Al song.
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

I think that's why Al Item was in quotes.
Egg Land Fondue?
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Whew, thanks Clyde. You're on the way to be an heir for OE! :biggrin: Just kidding.

Well, I just wanted to say one thing in Russia's defense - they showed "The Saga Begins" and "It's All About The Pentiums"! Bozhe, blagoslovi rossiyskoye MTV! (I mean - God bless Russian MTV!) Although most of their videos are lame...

And we also have a night TV show called "Nightwatch" with Dmitriy Dibrov where he shows rare and independent videos, instead of a mainstream. Guess what? "Fat"! I remember it was something like 1:30 in the morning, when my classmate called and cried: "Seva! There's Weird Al on TV!!!" I still can't believe they showed it.

SEVA.