Original Artists' Response

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

ducttapeearth
Obsessed

Post by ducttapeearth »

I read on wikipedia that Flea wasn't impressed with Bedrock Anthem, especially the chorus line. I'll see if I can find a direct quote.

Edit- I looked. I couldn't find a quote, but Flea mentioned it on VH1 and Al mentioned it on his behind the music.
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

algonacchick @ Oct 8 2006, 09:49 AM wrote: Um, so where else would he be singing it, then? I'm pretty sure he said this was during a concert.
There's a difference between McLean going on stage singing AP and stumbling on a few lyrics because TSB is in his head and McLean going on stage and actually singing TSB. The first post suggests the latter and I've never heard of Don doing that.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Sweet, everyone. Thanks for the tips. Keep em comin'!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

As far as Flea from the Chili Peppers, he actually said that he was a huge Al fan and was stoked that he wanted to do a parody. But after he heard The Bedrock Anthem, he felt let down because it could have been better. He felt that the chorus and overall topic could have been done up better. Yabba doo now.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

I remember that was the general idea but since I know for sure there is a direct quote on Behind The Music, I'll wait until someone who has access to the episode can get the direct quote. I left my VHS copy at my parents' house. And while you're watching for that, I know there's also a quote from Mark Mothersbaugh, the lead singer of Devo. I don't remember if there are any others in that special, but it's possible.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

American Pie @ Oct 8 2006, 12:17 PM wrote: There's a difference between McLean going on stage singing AP and stumbling on a few lyrics because TSB is in his head and McLean going on stage and actually singing TSB. The first post suggests the latter and I've never heard of Don doing that.
Um, I don't think what I said suggests that at all, and I think you're being just a tad mean here. All I said was that he was having a hard time singing AP because Al's lyrics were in his head. Nowhere did I say he actually sang Al's lyrics.

Maybe I'm being sensitive here, but you seem to be almost angry with me. It has never been my intent to upset anyone here.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

I'm not trying to be mean, and I was talking about the first post in the thread (before it was changed) made it sound like Don was singing TSB in concert.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

You know, unless someone can come up with some evidence showing that Don MacLean, at some point in his career, sang The Saga Begins, I'm just going to have to go with the guy whose screename is American Pie... :P
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

TMBJon @ Oct 8 2006, 02:32 PM wrote: You know, unless someone can come up with some evidence showing that Don MacLean, at some point in his career, sang The Saga Begins, I'm just going to have to go with the guy whose screename is American Pie... :P
Just to let you know, it's Don McLean, no a.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I never edited my original post, so I don't know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I did not say Don McLean sang TSB in concert. Hmm...

Thanks for the spelling correction.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325