Lynstrumentals

Moderator: Moderators

Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

WeirdAl.com boasts instrumental versions (with accompanying on-screen lyrics) for every song on Straight Outta Lynwood. This is a good idea, but it surprised me. They made a careful motion to make sure we know that there are only 6 videos (possibly only for the originals), I think that if there were only 6 instrumentals, it would have been careful to tell us.

With that said, this strikes me oddly because, on Poodle Hat, Al only included the instrumental versions of his originals. Really, it is Al and TBITB performing the parody instrumentals, but they are imitating the works of someone else without really changing it much at all.

How do you think this will go down? Will this be cool with the original artists?
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I cant really see Al doing something like that without finding out if it was cool beforehand. The last thing we need is a controversy for this album.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Yeah, I agree with minnick. I'm pretty sure he'd make sure that it was okay with the original artists.

Also, it doesn't change the amount of royalties they'd get. The percentages would still be the same.
Begone, foul beast!
Deliriously Dedicated

minnick27 @ Aug 13 2006, 02:24 PM wrote: I cant really see Al doing something like that without finding out if it was cool beforehand. The last thing we need is a controversy for this album.
Well, of course. But doesn't it seem odd that Al is including songs that he really had no part in writing? That doesn't seem like his style.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It's possible that the instrument versions of the parodies will include additional sounds or instruments that will enhance and change the original versions. For example, he could include accordion or various goofball sound effects to the songs. I don't know. Just throwing ideas out there.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Plus, most of his parodies are a bit faster/shorter than the originals...and like Jeremy said, if there are any additional (or less) sounds and instruments (an instrumental "Spam" would be somewhat different from an instrumental "Stand"), that'll change it too.

And as long as royalties are paid, covers are legal too, although knowing Al, he got permission beforehand.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

It's also odd and against Al's style to do these 6 videos ;) So, I don't think we can count on Al's "style" for this album.

He's just going in all kinds ofdirections...he knows what he's doing
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Deliriously Dedicated

Personally, being a parodist myself, I get excited by instrumentals. Seeing that Al has already done parodies of the original songs, I'm probably not going to use them, but I love to have them anyways. This is really good news for me and all others who love instrumentals.
Deliriously Dedicated

One more point of interest about the instrumental blurb on the album page is that the on-screen lyrics are presented as an "option". Does that imply that the lyrics may distract from something else happening on screen? There must be a reason why one would not always want the lyrics on.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I would think there would be on-screen lyrics as an option for the 6 videos.