Make The Rock Hall Weird!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Hmmm... let me rephrase my question. Do they hold inductions every year? Or just every four?
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

They have inductions every year. Al is eligible every year starting next year. 25 years after first record -- singles count.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Thank you, El. That's the info I was looking for. :biggrin:
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Al deserves to be inducted way more than Van Halen. He has made much greater contributions than they have. I don't know what we need to do, but I'm willing to do it.
alexina
Addicted

Post by alexina »

Maybe we need to make an enumerated list of contributions Al has made to rock and roll -- as thorough and specific a list as possible -- and then send it in to Wenner. (Including a pair of Al concert tickets probably wouldn't hurt!) ;-)

I think that Orthography Enthusiast's comment is excellent: 1. Al's live performances perpetuate songs long after their day has past.

To that, I would add the following:

2. Al's songs are often heralded (by MTV, VH1, and various critics) as a barometer of pop culture. (Specific quotes to support this would help, but I'm not sure where to begin looking.)

3. Groups such as Nirvana (and who else?) claimed that they really realized they'd "made it" once Al parodied them.

... What else could we say?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think alexina is on the right track. Let's make a list as long as we can for Al's contributions and then go from there.
SuperOy
Regular
Location: Living in your dandruff. It's quite pleasent there.

Post by SuperOy »

25 years? I thought it was 30. Either way, Al still should be a member.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Im pretty sure Al will get in. Im not sure if ur album ha to have a number 1 spot on the billboards though.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Album sales don't matter at all. The Ramones are probably the worst selling band to be in the Hall (I'm not knocking them, of course, but they never did sell that many albums)..
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Let's make a list as long as we can for Al's contributions and then go from there.

As far as where we can go from there, ya got me. I wrote to Jay back in January to essentially ask him what we can do to show our support to the Rock Hall folks without coming off as....you know, "obsessed fan-like." I have yet to hear back from him, but seeing how long it took him to get back to Dave regarding the star, I'm not really surprised. After all, he's a busy guy.