Even Worse Review Thread

Moderator: Moderators

DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

Well over the Even Worse album is alright. 7/10 overall.
DrDecay
Addicted

Post by DrDecay »

Well over the Even Worse album is alright. 7/10 overall.
Leonard Cohen
Occasional

Post by Leonard Cohen »

I've been a Weird Al fan since his first album, but Even Worse was the first Weird Al album I bought and listened to in it's entirety. I was ten years old when it came out. It's my favorite album. It has a special place in my heart. I'm only going to comment on a few songs:

Velvit Elvis -- I thought it had a bit of a reggae feel to it. For some reason it made me think of King of Suede and The Police's King of Pain when I first heard it. Did that happen to any of you?

Twister -- I thought I was listening to the Beastie Boys when I heard that song.

I love Melanie and The Good Old Days!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I believe Velvet Elvis was a Police style parody, so your ears weren't deceiving you.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leonard Cohen
Occasional

Post by Leonard Cohen »

But Velvet Elvis was an original Weird Al song, right? Lyrics and music? It wasn't a parody of any other song?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Right.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I like Velvet Elvis. Al has quite a few songs that are originals, but what he calls style parodies. Velvet Elvis is clearly a Police style parody. It reminds me most of Synchronicity II.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Mr. Frump

Post by Mr. Frump »

I like Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White, but I'm not sure if he's busting her ('stuffy in here') or not. Most guys back then wanted to be stuck in a closet with Vanna White. I thought that she and Al met and she was snobbish to him so he wrote the song, yet I saw them appear together.
Ideas?
Rob
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Mr. Frump @ Mar 25 2005, 12:55 PM wrote: I like Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White, but I'm not sure if he's busting her ('stuffy in here') or not. Most guys back then wanted to be stuck in a closet with Vanna White. I thought that she and Al met and she was snobbish to him so he wrote the song, yet I saw them appear together.
Ideas?
I'm sure the song was just in good fun. I really can't imagine Al seriously insulting someone in a song. Even if he did have ill-will against someone, I honestly can't imagine him writing a mean song about them to hurt them. Al and Vanna did appear together in "Naked Gun 33 1/2".
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

Kevbo1987 @ Mar 26 2005, 09:45 AM wrote: Al and Vanna did appear together in "Naked Gun 33 1/2".
I wonder if they had them appear together just because Al wrote a song about her :lookaround:...

Anyway, out of all the ALbums I own, Even Worse ranks right up there, and my favorite songs off it (besides Fat) are probably Alimony and Melanie. It's just that I was kind of bummed when i first got it because I saw that there wasn't a polka medley on it :( , and those are one of my favorite things that he does. But other than that, Even Worse doesn't live up to its name (what I mean is, it's pretty good! :P )
Stephanie
Al Team #2781