10/18/04 Jay Levey Lecture

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

stupidsurgeon27 wrote: It does sound like Bob went to the lecture. He was probably the one with the cartoon shirt of the all the different Al's.

Yes, and to translate for CB, Bob is Brian West. He is a member here *cartumedude*, but hasn't posted in a very long time. He designed the Year of the Al shirts. I am the proud owner of one. I hope to hear from Brian about this, perhaps over at STUPID. I'm glad you got to go, Fred. Thanks for the report.

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

scottidog @ Oct 19 2004, 05:46 AM wrote: Hey, Jay. You can run, but you can't hide from determined WAY fans armed with Google.
I wonder whether he's ever just a little spooked by us. :o

He must at least be taken by surprise sometimes when he's recognized. It's a pretty behind-the-scenes job description he has, after all. Or sometimes behind-the-dhoti. :P
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Oct 20 2004, 09:23 PM wrote: Or sometimes behind-the-dhoti.
:blink:

Golly, I hope we're not looking there.

dho·ti   

1. A loincloth worn by Hindu men in India.
  2. The cotton fabric used for such loincloths.
kaztaylor
Requiescat In Pace

Post by kaztaylor »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Oct 21 2004, 06:23 AM wrote: I wonder whether he's ever just a little spooked by us. :o

Probably only when he's walking down the street at night and someone yells. "Don't move...slimeball!"

S'okay, Jay...we love ya.

Can we get Al in a dhoti? :9~

Praise AL!!

--Karen
Praise AL!

Karen/Kaz

AL is all, All is AL !

(Thanks for saving my life, AL!)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

I meant that JAY was behind the dhoti, not that we were looking there!

I really don't think we'd better start a Drooling Over Jay topic. Let's spare his blushes. :S
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Oct 21 2004, 12:23 AM wrote: He must at least be taken by surprise sometimes when he's recognized. It's a pretty behind-the-scenes job description he has, after all. Or sometimes behind-the-dhoti. :P
"Geez, direct and appear in one cult classic, and now people recognize me!"
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

CatraDhtem @ Oct 21 2004, 07:58 AM wrote: "Geez, direct and appear in one cult classic, and now people recognize me!"
Well, when I saw Jay at the Poodle Hat release-day autograph signing, I said, "Say, aren't you a movie star?" And he said "Not exactly," and scooted away pretty darn quick. :lol: It's not as though he was all that recognizable as Gandhi, either. It was probably BTM that really cooked his Goose of Anonymity.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Oct 21 2004, 03:37 AM wrote: It's not as though he was all that recognizable as Gandhi, either. It was probably BTM that really cooked his Goose of Anonymity.
No, that's certainly true, but it does seem as if when something attains a "cult" status then fans are able to pick any of the performers out of a crowd. It probably wouldn't be too farfetched for someone to see Jay and think "Hey that looks like Gandhi but with hair!"

And actually, although I would definitely classify them as "anonymous," Jay at least hasn't been too bashful to get in the spirit of things and do cameos in the various videos over the years, so he's pretty much out there anyway.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Forgive my ignorance, but which videos will we see him in?
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

scottidog @ Oct 21 2004, 04:36 PM wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but which videos will we see him in?
Not "Bob" :x:

The only ones I can think of are "Dare To Be Stupid" as the coffee achiever, and "Living With A Hernia" as some guy with a hernia, and of course "UHF" but there might be more.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!