Baby Likes Burping

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I'd be interested in getting opinions about this one. The story goes that Al had this planned as a follow up single to My Bologna. Well of course, Capitol dropped him.

Now, since Capitol is made up of tasteless jerks who wouldn't know a guy that had talent if he chewed on their butts, I think they were already planning to drop him. But does anyone think maybe it was Al's fault, following on the coattails of the then already cooling Knack? Could BLB possibly have been a mistake on Al's part?

For the record, I like Baby Likes Burping. I like hearing our old friend John Echo. But that thought's been bugging me lately.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

I never cared for Baby Likes Burping. It had just one too many burping SFX if you know what I mean...just kind of tasteless humor. It had a few good lines but I didn't really like it.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, the original song did come off of the Knack's follow-up album "...but the little girls understand", so it could have been due to the fact that the Knack were waning in their popularity. I happen to like that album, but that's just me. I do like the song, though. I still can't believe that was a 14 year old girl doing all the burping!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the record biz is that, when your only signed to a six-month contract, you probably aren't getting a second look. Capitol records had no intention of releasing anything else by Al. (Al even seems to be saying this on Behind the Music...)
As for the song itself goes, I've got it (whoops. I didn't say that) and I don't think it's one of Al's best. But, as a wise man once said "I could only change the lyrics..."

Harold
GO BILLS!!!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

iisryan27 @ Mar 24 2004, 11:04 AM wrote: I never cared for Baby Likes Burping. It had just one too many burping SFX if you know what I mean...just kind of tasteless humor. It had a few good lines but I didn't really like it.
It's not the worst song imaginable, but it's not really worthy of Weird Al. There was just no wit to it. I'm very glad it didn't catch on. It probably would have pushed Al closer to the "novelty artist" label than he would have liked (as if he doesn't get enough of that now!).
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 24 2004, 07:03 PM wrote: It's not the worst song imaginable, but it's not really worthy of Weird Al. There was just no wit to it. I'm very glad it didn't catch on. It probably would have pushed Al closer to the "novelty artist" label than he would have liked (as if he doesn't get enough of that now!).
This is most certainly true. That Weird Al kid would have been pigeonholed along with things like those cats that sing "Jingle Bells." And he'd really be hating life in the architect's office by now.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

haroldwaide @ Mar 24 2004, 12:40 PM wrote: Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the record biz is that, when your only signed to a six-month contract, you probably aren't getting a second look. Capitol records had no intention of releasing anything else by Al. (Al even seems to be saying this on Behind the Music...)
As for the song itself goes, I've got it (whoops. I didn't say that) and I don't think it's one of Al's best. But, as a wise man once said "I could only change the lyrics..."

Harold
I recall Al saying in BTM that he would call Capitol and say, "I have more ideas! I could do another song!" and Capitol would say, "Didn't we do you already?" I think Capitol thought of Al as a one-hit wonder, and they weren't really interested in pursuing any more projects with him. Of course, as we all know, they were WAY off! 8 gold albums, 5 platinum albums, and 3 Grammys later, I wonder if they regret not signing Al.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 24 2004, 02:03 PM wrote: It's not the worst song imaginable, but it's not really worthy of Weird Al. There was just no wit to it. I'm very glad it didn't catch on. It probably would have pushed Al closer to the "novelty artist" label than he would have liked (as if he doesn't get enough of that now!).
Yeah, it does seem kind of rushed too, like he was striking when the iron was still hot.

He'd have a lot of time to learn.

(I hope Capitol regrets not signing him. Obviously, a prestigious record company can easilly find more platinum acts, but how many of them have endured like Al and still kept the sales as well?)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yeah, I wonder how many of the artists Capitol signed the same year that they stopped returning Al's phone calls still have all their studio albums in print?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
AlGal
Occasional

Post by AlGal »

I wonder if Nina got to hear daddy singing this to her a couple of times :inlove:
"Oh Ricky, what's a girl like me supposed to do
You really drive me wild when you sing your babaloo"